Anchor Works, Longton, Stoke-on-Trent
| 1900 map showing Anchor Works |
From the 1900 map it can be seen that the Anchor works is bounded by Anchor Road and Sutherland Road, it is only on the corner of the works that it touches Market Street.
The Anchor works should not be confused with the nearby, and similarly named "Anchor Pottery", which was worked by Sampson Bridgwood & Son.
These works in Market Street were carried on by T. & J. Carey from about 1823 until 1843, when they came into the possession of John Ashwell, who occupied them for about thirteen years. They were afterwards carried on by William Green, from whom they passed in about 1860 to Copestake Brothers and were from 1871 occupied by George Copestake, who produced china of the usual varieties for both the home and foreign markets until 1889 ."
From: 'Jewitt's Ceramic Art of Great Britain 1800-1900' - first published 1878.
|1823||1842||Thomas & John Carey||according to Jewitt T & J Carey also occupied the King Street Works, Fenton from 1840....|
Questions/comments? email: Steve Birks