Park Place Works, Longton
See location map for Park Place Works
The Gladstone Works and Park Place Works are listed buildings.
|1913||1946||Reid & Co|
|1946||July 1963||Roslyn China||Now part of the Gladstone pottery museum.|
| Marks on Roslyn Ware | Examples of Roslyn Ware |
William Ward split up the site into two smaller potbanks. This division of the Shelleys’ property is still in evidence today, for the Gladstone Pottery is part of the Ward purchase; the Park Place Works (now the Roslyn Works) , which lies adjacent to Gladstone, forms the other part of the original Shelley property.
There is a map dated 1815 which shows the potbank split into several small lots. Many of these ranges of buildings were incorporated into later phases of building work in the 19th century, so visitors to the Gladstone Pottery Museum today will be, at least in part , surrounded by the fabric of 18th century buildings.
It was in 1818 that Ward sold his potbank to John Hendley Sheridan for £1222. During the next 40 years the development of this potbank was remarkable, and at the same time very typical of the development of Longton and the industry in the Potteries.
Frontage of the Roslyn Park Place works,
the Gladstone Works are to the right
Frontage is on Uttoxeter Road, Longton (previously called the High St)
Bottle kilns of the Roslyn Park Place works,
the Gladstone kilns are to the left
Photos taken 1999
Questions/comments? email: Steve Birks