Regent Works
Mount Pleasant, Longton, Stoke-on-Trent

From

To

Occupier

Comments

1892

1937

Thomas Morris Thomas Morris founded the business.
It is probable that in 1918 that Herbert J Colclough (former Lord Mayor of Longton) took over the Regent Works and the business continued as Thomas Morris under his ownership. 
1937

1948

Colclough China Ltd

In 1937 Thomas Morris (along with H.J. Colclough and the Osborne China Co. Ltd.) became part of Colclough China Ltd. 
The Regent Works continued to operate under Colclough China Ltd.
1948

1954

Booths & Colclough Ltd

Booths Ltd. purchased Colclough China Ltd in 1944. The businesses continued under their existing names until 1948 when they amalgamated as Booths & Colclough Ltd., operating from a number of factories in Stoke-on-Trent, including the Regent Works. 
1955

1964

Ridgway Potteries Ltd.

January 1st 1955 saw the amalgamation of a number of companies which was briefly named Ridgway, Adderley, Booths & Colcloughs Ltd. 
On February 28th the new company was renamed to Ridgway Potteries Ltd. 
Ridgway Potteries Ltd. was part of the Lawley Group. 

A 1956 article by Ridgway Potteries says
"The Regent Works has undergone extensive reconstruction and, at the present day, the company [Colclough] can boast of being the largest individual bone china producing unit in the industry".
1964

1972

Allied English Potteries Ltd.  

Over a period of time the Lawley Group acquired further pottery companies and in June 1964 changed its name to Allied English Potteries Ltd. 
The Regent Works continued to operate as a producer of fine china under the Colclough name. 
1973

2003

Royal Doulton Tableware Ltd

In 1971 the Pearson Group (who owned Allied English Potteries Ltd.) purchased Doulton & Co. Ltd and following restructuring Allied English Potteries became a subsidiary of Royal Doulton. 

Royal Doulton stopped manufacture at the Regent Works in 2003.
The Royal Doulton factory shop which operated at part of the works continued until c.2007. 
At its peak in the mid 1970's, Royal Doulton employees 7,000 people at 18 sites. 
2005

2008

Studio Hinks Fine China

Studio Hinks Fine China operated by John Hinks in a unit at the Regent Works from 2005 until November 2008 producing handmade painted fine china flowers and floral arrangements. In 2006 it employed 12 skilled china flower makers and decorators. 
The business was not a retail supplier - they supplied the large china manufacturers Aynsley, Doulton and Wedgwood. 

[John Hinks had founded Royale Stratford at nearby St. Mary's Mill, Uttoxeter Road in 1976. He sold the business in 1999 and stayed on as a consultant. In 2005 the business failed and John Hinks started Studio Hinks Fine China at the Regent Works.]

 

 


 


Plate made by Ridgway Potteries Ltd - Colcloughs at the Regent Works, Longton

c. 1955 - 1964
 

 


 

 

 


the Regent Works in 1947
to the top left is the Balmoral Works

the prefabs at the top where erected after Lower, Middle and Upper John Street were demolished
(see the photo further down on the page) 

 


 

 


1857 map showing Millfield Gate Brick Field - where the Regent Works would be opened in 1892

 

 


 

 

 


1907 map showing the Regent Works (purple) 
and adjacent Balmoral Works (blue) and Florence Works (red)

The green line is the High Street (later renamed Uttoxeter Road)


 


the same area on a 1922 map 

 


 


The High Street and Normacot area of Longton in 1927  

Britain from Above

 


 

 

 


the Regent Works in 1927 (purple oval)
The High Street in the green line and at the top left is St. James's Church

 


 

 

 

 


close up of the 1927 photo showing the Regent Works (purple) 
and adjacent Balmoral Works (blue) and Florence Works (red)

The green line is the High Street (later renamed Uttoxeter Road)

 


 

 


Lower John Street, Longton   c.1929-31
Lower John Street ran alongside the Balmoral Works 
and at the end of the street were the bottle kilns of the Regent Works

- from the Lovatt Collections -

This photograph shows old terraced housing in Lower John Street, Longton.  The John Street area was set back from the Longton High Street (Uttoxeter Road). Notice how close the housing is to the pot banks - the factories where the pottery ware was made and fired.  

The housing was amongst the worst in Stoke-on-Trent and was demolished in 1935. The fire Station now stands on this location.

 


 


1953 map showing the Regent Works
The High Street (later renamed Uttoxeter Road) is shown in green
to the top left is St. James's church

note the number of pottery factories situated right next to shops and houses
there are at least 16 potteries shown on this map

- the prefabs shown on the 1947 photo at the top of the page can be 
seen at the bottom right of this map - 

 


closer view of the Regent Works and adjacent Balmoral and Florence Works 

 


 


A Royal Doulton factory shop at the Regent Works, in Longton
c. 2002

the view along Chatfield Place, Lawley Street to the left
(Mount Pleasant was renamed Lawley Street) 
 

 

 


 


the former shop is now home to the Round 1 Academy, which was founded in December 2012
 to work with children and young people at risk of social or educational exclusion in Stoke-on-Trent

 


 

showing the location of the Regent Works (purple) 
and adjacent Balmoral Works (blue) and Florence Works (red)

Uttoxeter Road (formerly the High Street) is shown in green
to the top left is St. James's church

 

Bing Maps - 2014 


 


although much changed some of the original buildings of the Regent Works remain

 

Bing Maps - 2014 

 


 


view of the Regent Works from Sutherland Road

"The Regent Works has undergone extensive reconstruction and, at the present day, 
the company [Colclough] can boast of being the largest individual bone china producing unit in the industry".
- quote from a 1956 article -

 

Google Street View - June 2014 

 


Questions/comments/contributions? email: Steve Birks