Cliffe Vale Works, Cliffe
Vale, Shelton, Stoke-on-Trent
Built for Thomas Twyford 1879
Cliffe Vale Works from an 1893 journal
on the journal entry
The Trent & Mersey Canal can
be seen to the left of
the works and Shelton New Road to the front.
On the 1898 OS map the road had two names, from Cliff Vale
towards Newcastle it was Shelton New Road but in the other
direction from Cliff Vale towards Hanley it was
Newcastle Road - it was renamed in the early 1950's.
Thomas Twyford already had the Bath Street Works in Hanley, when in 1879 he built new works in Cliff Vale for the production of sanitary ware. The factory was designed by Robert Scrivener and was ideally situated, with the Trent and Mersey Canal along its northern side, railway sidings constructed on the other and the main road to the front.
Cliffe Vale works of Twyfords
On Shelton New Road - to the left the road
(which used to be Newcastle Road) goes up to Howard Place in Shelton.
Questions/comments? email: Steve Birks