Cliff Bank Works, Stoke
"The Cliff Bank Works on the opposite side of the Hartshill Road at the junction with Shelton Old Road seems to have been occupied in 1740 by Daniel Bird, who made agate knife shafts and buttons besides earthenware. He was known as 'the flint potter' as a result of his having discovered the right proportion of flint and clay needed to prevent the ware from cracking in the oven.
Hugh Booth was producing china glazed ware and earthenware at the works in the 1780's and was succeeded in 1789 by his brother Ephriam, who, with his sons Hugh and Joseph, traded as Booth and Sons between at least 1792 and 1802. Hugh and Joseph ran the works between at least 1805 and 1808, and a lease was held by Thomas Ward and Company by 1815 (Ward and Davenport in 1822) and by Thomas Mayer from at least 1826.
The firm of William Adams and Sons took over from Mayer c.1837 and held the works (described as 'small, dilapidated and old') until the 1850's.
It then passed to Minton, Hollins and Company, who were still the occupants in 1889. The factory was pulled down in 1914."
From 1886 Messrs. Boulton and Floyd were tenants at the Cliff Bank works, but the business speedily outgrew the accommodation and in 1890 they built and moved to the Lovatt and Hall Street Works (which was located just behind the Cliff Bank Works).
Cliffe Bank Potteries
worked by William Adams 1804-1863
picture: "Ten Generations of a Potting Family"
Victoria History of the County of Stafford. Vol VIII
A descriptive account of The Potteries (illustrated), 1893 advertising and trade journal
Thomas Mayer (c.1826-35)
Boulton & Floyd (c.1886-90)
questions/comments/contributions? email: Steve Birks
updated: Sept 2005