Glebe Street Works, Stoke-upon-Trent
Glebe Street Works and Wharf Street Works These two manufactories belonged to Robin son & Leadbeater and were confined to the production of Parian goods, of which they were among the largest producers. The Glebe Street Works were commenced in 1850 by a clever Italian figure-modeller named Giovanni Meli, who produced fine groups and single figures till 1865, when he sold the business, plant, moulds and machinery to Robinson & Leadbeater and returned to Italy with the intention of commencing a terra-cotta manufactory. This he relinquished, mainly through lack of a suitable native clay or marl for the making of his saggers, and went to Chicago, where he succeed ed in his wishes and established a manufactory of the kind he attempted in Italy.
|1865||Robinson & Lead beater||Robinson & Lead beater operated 1865-1924 and it is not sure how long they continued at the Glebe Street Works.|
|1898||1922||James Smith||James Smith could have share the works with Robinson & Lead beater - this was a very common practice.|
Questions/comments? email: Steve Birks