Vine Works, Stoke, Stoke-upon-Trent

From To Occupier Comments
1895 1900 L.A. Birks & Co The Vine Pottery was founded by Lawrence Arthur Birks and Charles Frederick Goodfellow Adolphus J. Rawlins was as a partner (the '& Co.')
Goodfellow retired in 1898.
1900 1933 Birks, Rawlins & Co. (Ltd) After Goodfellow's retirement the company became Birks, Rawlins & Co.

In 1928 Wiltshaw and Robinson purchased Birks, Rawlins and Co, when the latter found themselves in financial difficulty following the National Strike and Wall Street Crash. 

They incorporated a new company, Birks, Rawlins and Co. Ltd., with the intention of continuing to manufacture china at The Vine Pottery. 

Birks, Rawlins had produced a huge range of fine bone china using the trade name Savoy China and Wiltshaw and Robinson made good use of their patterns and shapes, adding many of their own patterns. 

Shortly after the takeover a new trademark "The Original Birks China" was registered for Birks, Rawlins and Co, with the intent of trading on the old and respected name of Birks, Rawlins. Unfortunately this had little success and the number of patterns or shape produced is not known, with the quality not up to that of previous production.

source: Graces Guide




The London Gazette, 26th April 1898

notice that Charles Frederick Goodfellow retired
from the business of L.A.Birks & Co.

the business was continued by the remaining two partners
Lawrence Arthur Birks and Adolphus J. Rawlins 


The London Gazette, 13th November 1934

notice of the dissolution of Birks, Rawlins & Co. Ltd.
[confirmation of the dissolution was published in
the London Gazette, 15 February 1935]



Birks, Rawlins and Co.
china and Savoy heraldic
china manufacturers

from: 1907 Staffordshire Sentinel 
'Business Reference Guide to The Potteries, Newcastle & District'


1898 map showing the location of the Vine Pottery Works


Vine Pottery (China) on Summer Street, alongside the Newcastle under Lyme to Stoke canal


showing the location of the Vine Pottery Works in the local area
the Vine Pottery shown in blue
top right (light blue) is the Victoria Ground of Stoke City Football Club
to the left of the works is 'The Villas' (shown in red)

questions/comments/contributions? email: Steve Birks