Stoke-on-Trent - Advert of the week
The Wade Group of Potteries
The Wade Group of Potteries
1957 - City of Stoke-on-Trent Handbook
The Wade Group
"The Wade story begins in the early 19th century when the businesses of George Wade and Henry Hallen were combined—the first step in what was to be a century and a half of continuous progress and expansion.
The Group employs over 1,500 people, many of them the grandchildren and great-grandchildren of those who worked for the company nearly 150 years ago. This is ample evidence of the importance which has always been placed upon mutual respect and esteem between management and operatives.
A new company was formed in Northern Ireland after the recent war—Messrs. Wade (Ulster) Limited—to meet a continually growing demand for Wade products. Working conditions on each and every factory of the group are of the highest order, and the machinery and equipment is of the most up-to-date.
WADE HEATH & COMPANY LIMITED. This factory produces an extensive range of earthenware, table-ware and ornamental ware for the world markets. In recent years artists and designers at this works have specialised in contemporary styling and colour requirements with very successful results, while at the same time a great deal of attention has been given to modern methods of packaging and presentation. The range of superbly packed gift items now produced by the firm is an outstanding example of the success of this policy.
A. J. WADE LIMITED. At this factory glazed ceramic tiles, for walls and fireplaces, are produced in a wide variety of colours and glazes. The tiles are used in homes and public buildings throughout the world and, of course, the firm is renowned for its fireplaces, which are designed and slabbed by craftsmen who have been with the company all their working lives."
1957 - City of
Hill Top Pottery Works, Burslem - Considering to be "one of the best pottery offices and warehouses" remaining in the city. Wade Heath and Co. and then Wades Ltd. occupied the building from 1954 to 2010.
Wade Whimsies - Only in 1953, after Sir George Wade developed Whimsies, a small solid ceramic collectable animal series, did Wade become a household name in the UK and America and the company has been known ever since as the "Home of the Whimsie".
Packhorse & Turnpikes - The eighteenth century saw the development of the North Staffordshire pottery industry from a cottage industry to a major exporting industry - The principle Potteries turnpike road was Hill Street (later Liverpool Road and now Westport Road) - this effectively gave a road from Stoke, through Burslem to Church Lawton, completely bypassing Newcastle.
- a market leader in the design and production of high quality