| Index of all listed buildings |


Listed Buildings in Stoke-on-Trent and area

Parish Church of St. Bartholomew, Norton


Area
Norton
Street
Norton Lane
Heritage No.
106 A B
Grade
II
Date Listed
08 May 1989
Building: Parish Church
Location: STOKE ON TRENT SJ85SE NORTON LANE, Norton in the Moors
Description:  Parish Church. 1738 by Richard Trubshaw . Brick with stone dressings.

Church of St Bartholomew on Norton Lane
Church of St Bartholomew on Norton Lane

photo:  David Proudlove


Parish Church. 1738 by Richard Trubshaw, the chancel and its chapels rebuilt 1914 by J.H.Beckett.

Brick with stone dressings. West tower, nave, and 2 aisles, chancel. West tower of 2 stages with stone string courses, and angle pilasters capped by ball finials above the parapet.

Doorway with segmentally arched head and large voussoirs. Circular and round arched openings above. Blind windows in west walls of aisles, which have stone quoins, plinths and cornice.

Aisles of 3 bays with brick aprons and stone sills to round arched windows. South aisle chapel probably added with chancel in 1914, with Palladian window in south wall. The north aisle chapel has paired hipped roofed bays and was added in 1916. Chancel also an addition, with Palladian east window with stone apron and cross in pedimented east gable.

 (The Buildings of England: N.Pevsner: Staffordshire: Harmondsworth).



Built in 1737 by Richard Trubshawe, this undated drawing by T.P Wood shows a classical building with a short brick tower and ball finials.

William Salt Library (Staffordshire Views VIII-108)

St Bartholomew. On the top of a hill with views to the e towards the Peak - nature, and yet factories and Stoke housing as well. 1737-8 by Richard Trubshaw.
The e half by J. H. Beckett, 1914. Brick, with a w tower. The w doorway has a rusticated surround of alternating sizes of the blocks. Ball finials.
The original building probably had just three bays and a short chancel. Square piers and low, flat ceilings. Beckett added transepts and a new chancel. - plate. Two Plates by I.P., 1737; Flagon by Richard Gurney & Co., 1747; Chalice, c.1747.

Pevsner: The Buildings of England

 


next: Elm House, Packmoor
previous: Norton Green Hall
 

| Index of all listed buildings |
| Tunstall | Burslem | Hanley | Stoke | Fenton | Longton | Other areas |