| Index of all listed buildings |

 

Ford Green Hall, Smallthorne
Ford Green Hall, Smallthorne
pen drawing by Neville Malkin - Sept 1974

-click picture for more-

 


Listed Buildings in Stoke-on-Trent and area

Ford Green Hall, Smallthorne


Area
Smallthorne
Street
Ford Green Road
Heritage No.
116 A
Grade
II*
Date Listed
02 October 1951
Building: Late 16th Century farmhouse
Location: STOKE ON TRENT SJ85SE FORD GREEN ROAD, Smallthorne
Description:  Timber framed with close studding


Ford Green Hall, Smallthorne

photo:  Craig Thornber  Oct 2005

Ford Green Hall, attached wall and dovecote
Ford Green Hall, attached wall and dovecote

photo:  Clive Shenton  May 2001


Former farmhouse, now museum.

Late 16th Century, with one wing added or replaced in early 18th Century. Timber framed with close studding to ground floor and small panels with lozenge and balustrading decoration above, on stone plinth and with plain tiled roofs, 2-storeyed with attics; plan of hall and 2 cross wings with baffle entry, the wings dominating.

Left hand wing has large 3-light mullioned window to ground floor, windows of 2 and 3 lights in upper storey, jettied on moulded beam with enriched bosses at angles. The attic is also jettied out. Central bay has moulded beam carrying jettied upper section, and a 3 light mullioned window to ground floor, 2 windows above. Projecting 2-storeyed gabled porch to the right of this bay, with doorway in side wall.

Over the inner door is inscribed "Ralph Sutton, Carpenter". Right hand wing is a brick addition dated on a rainwater head, 1734 with initials H.F., probably replacing an original structure. Chimney in front coped gabled wall, flanked by mullioned and transomed windows. Rear elevation of central section and timber cross wing framed with close studding to ground floor and square panels above the with arch and tension bracing.

Lower brick range added to SW, dated 1723: a single storeyed bay now open to the roof, though once with floor and attic. Adjoining this, a brick garden wall links the house to the dovecote, also early 18th Century, a circular structure with conical plain tiled roof.

Interior of house: internal doorways on ground floor are ogival moulded archways with fleur de lys capping. Deep moulded beam with ogival chamfer stops in central bay. Fire place in hall taken from Alton Towers. Panelled parlour, the panelling probably inserted in early 18th Century. 2 hollow chamfered beams, carried on corbels. Staircase possibly original, or early 17th Century, with splat balusters and newel posts with acorn caps. Queen strut roof construction in timber framed sections. Queen post and strut in 18th Century range. 


more on Ford Green Hall

 


next: Ford Green Farmhouse, Smallthorne
previous: Church of St. Saviour, Smallthorne
 

| Index of all listed buildings |
| Tunstall | Burslem | Hanley | Stoke | Fenton | Longton | Other areas |