Old Pubs of the Potteries


Boarded-up pubs have become a symbol of the death of community spirit in Britain's towns and cities. The decline has been dramatic. For this, the British Beer & Pub Association blames mounting costs, sinking sales, fragile consumer confidence and the smoking ban, as well as cheap supermarket beer and the growth in home entertainment.
Former pubs in Stoke-on-Trent have been converted into a host of uses from private dwellings to hairdressers.

next: The Dog and Partridge, Cobridge, Burslem

click 'next' to step through one by one, or click on the pictures below:-

The Dog and Partridge, Cobridge, Burslem - to..  a Scout headquarters
Many years have passed since pints were last pulled at the Dog & Partridge. Once tied to Parker's Burslem Brewery, this former public house stands in near isolation close to the junction of Hot Lane and Nile Street, following the demolition of most of its old neighbours. It survived as the headquarters of a local scout troop.
The Jug Inn, Sneyd Street, Cobridge - to.. a glazing and hire business
Sneyd Green was a popular destination for potters from Burslem during the wakes week in the eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries.
The Old King and Queen Inn, Sneyd Street - to.. a private house
The first landlord of the Old King and Queen Inn for whom we have any details was Robert Edge who was the tenant between 1818 - a photo of the Old King and Queen shows a bull baiting ring set in the floor in front of the inn.
The Cricketers Arms, Longton - to.. a pet shop
Cricket Bat and Stumps form an attractive sign on the façade of the former Cricketers Arms public house, now a pet shop in part of the Longton Shopping Mall.
Earl of Clarendon, Longton - to.. a gift shop
"The Longton pub scene may not be dead, but it is a bit green around the gills The Roebuck and the Earl of Clarendon were closed..."
Rose and Crown, Etruria - to.. financial advisers
this pub stood on the junction of Cobridge Road and Etruria Road - the loop line ran in a cutting behind it.
Black Boy, Cobridge - to.. furniture re-upholstery business
"The pub, The Black Boy, had been kept by my Mum’s Uncle, (my grandma’s brother) Billy Briscoe, who had been a prolific footballer with Port Vale in the 1920’s and 1930’s."
White Horse, Cobridge - to.. scrap metal yard
“The land came into our family a hundred years ago,” explains the owner 57 year old Tony Carter. “It was owned by my great-grandmother Fanny Wilshaw. The building you mention was a pub called the White Horse..."
The American, Cobridge - to.. club house
The hotel was a postinghouse by 1834 - in 1851 Thomas Green was the proprietor of the Waterloo and American Hotel, Waterloo Road, Burslem.
Blue Bell, Burslem - to..  Potteries Women's Refuge
In 1851 George Mollart was the proprietor of the Blue Bell Inn, Waterloo Road, Burslem. The 1851 map shows an outdoors skittle alley behind the inn.
The Roebuck, Longton - to.. property management company
Caroline Street was one of those typical Potteries streets - containing houses, a place of work, a place of worship and of course a place of relaxation - the Roebuck pub.
The Royal Oak, Penkhull - to.. hairdressers
On the corner of Manor Court Street stood the Royal Oak.
Part of a small row of cottages with this shop on the end. In 1866 the cottages were purchased by a John Royal, they are described as eight houses but with two of them "lately converted into one and used as a beer house occupied by William Benbow"
The Angel, Hanley - to.. building society
Alfred Chew and Co was founded in Hanley in 1887. The Head office was at the Angel, Market Street, Hanley.
The Angel Restaurant was "a handsomely fitted up establishment, where luncheons, dinners, suppers and all refreshments are served in first-class style."
unknown pub, Fenton - to.. Curley's Carpets
The Bass sign on the corner of the building is all that gives the game away of the buildings previous life as a pub.
Dew Drop Inn, Hanley - to.. Taabish - fast food outlet
Its proximity to the Theatre Royal made the small corner Dew Drop pub a convenient watering hole for the performers to unwind in after their performance.
The Five Towns, Hanley - to.. coffee bar
The Five Towns pub occupied the building on the corner of Parliament Row and Old Hall Street - directly opposite was the Charles Street works of J&G Meakin.
The Old Swan, Stoke - to.. paint supply company
In 1851 John Kitson was the proprietor of the Old Swan Inn, High Street (now Hartshill Road). The inn occupies a position close to the Cliffe Bank Pottery works, Cliffe Bank Lodge and Cliffe Bank workers houses.
Union Hotel, Longton  - to.. Stevens Solicitors
The Georgian style Union Hotel occupied a central and busy position as a posting inn at Longton's second market-square.
The hotel stood just behind Longton Court House, it was also the starting point of an omnibus service which ran to Hanley, Burslem and Stoke.
Star Inn, Stoke - to.. flats and shop premises
The Star Inn in Liverpool Road was constructed between 1832 and 1848. The front of the building had decorative woodwork and glazed tiles.
Miners Arms, Longton - to.. conservatory supplier
Hi-Tech Conservatories & Cane on the corner of Anchor Road and Clewlow Place - previously the Miners Arms
The Portland, Longton - to.. Fitness centre & kitchen, bedroom supplier
On King Street, Longton an old pub with the most impressive doorway in Longton.
The Golden Ball, Newcastle-under-Lyme  - to.. a Butchers shop
the only timber building to retain something approaching its original front was the former 'Golden Ball' in High Street, formerly nos. 7 and 9 Bridge Street.

The Castle Hotel, Newcastle-under-Lyme to.. a row of retail shops
The Castle Hotel was once one of the town's busiest coaching inns.

Riley Arms, Bank Top, Tunstall - to.. co-op food shop
In the district of Bank Top we have 'Riley Terrace', 'Rileys' public house and Riley Avenue.