Stoke-on-Trent - photo of the week
W.S. Brown - butchers, 27 Broad Street, Hanley c.1880-1990
of the following information and the 1922 photos kindly supplied by William S.
great, great, grandson of the original W. S. Brown.
W.S. Brown originally had butchers shops at 11 Market Place Burslem and 27 Broad Street Hanley - the Hanley shop operated from around 1880 until 1990 but the slaughterhouse moved to Etruria Road in 1961.
The former shop & slaughterhouse in Broad Street were demolished in 2013 to make way for the new council civic centre but the building housing the original Brown's bakehouse (opposite the shop) still stands today (2013).
The 1930's saw much expansion of the company as it was also at this time the firm began an expansion into the retail markets of the Potteries
W.S. Brown & Sons still maintain a presence in the city - they left the old Tontine Street market for the new market in 1987 and still have a butchers stall in the market under the Potteries Shopping Centre in Hanley.
1907 advert for W.S. Brown & Sons, butchers, Burslem & Hanley
Brown's connection with the Market Place shop in Burslem goes to the origin of the family in the butchery trade.
It was originally a butcher's shop under the name of Knight's.
The original founder of the business (W.S.Brown) married a Knight - after he was sent to be an apprentice at the butcher's shop and marrying the daughter - the couple had 11 children with Charles Frederick Brown being the first to be born at the Broad Street shop.
11 Market Place eventually became one of W. S. Brown's shops.
Their reputation for good quality sausage spread far beyond the North Staffordshire and South Cheshire area with products being sent on trains from Hanley station to beyond Birmingham.
It was taken
further up Broad Street from the butchers shop (possibly
where the ABC cinema once stood)
The people in the photograph are....
Charles Frederick Brown (1882-1981) (to the far left)
Charles Frederick Brown's children were William Southall Brown, Edna Hilda Knight Brown and Peter Knight Brown (all of which spent their lives in the business).
kindly supplied by William Brown
27 Broad Street, Hanley
Market Place, Burslem
all adverts and directory
entries are from.....
1907 Staffordshire Sentinel
'Business Reference Guide to The Potteries, Newcastle & District'
Charles Frederick Brown - the son of the original W. S. Brown - came to work each day until his death at the early age of 99!
During the Great Depression, he & his wife would make soup from the bones and distribute it to the poor from an entrance to the works from Crown Street (queues would frequently form even for these meals in times of poverty).
Charles had two other brothers involved in the business,
George and Arthur - both died before him. It was traditional at the time to set
the first born son up in business by buying his first week's supply of meat - W.
S. Brown's eldest son, W. S. Brown was thus set up in business but Charles
Frederick (along with George and Arthur) stayed with his father to develop the
It was very common to have slaughterhouses attached to butcher's shops during the 19th and early 20th centuries.
Knight's slaughterhouse was in Greenhead Street, Burslem and there were slaughterhouses (though not used by Brown's) attached to W. S. Brown's shop in Dresden (corner of Trentham Road & Peel Street - once John Blakeman's, then Roper's & then Brown's) and Newcastle, High Street now Chatwin's.
on Trentham Road was originally John Blakeman's Butchers Shop.
later the business was Roper's and then in the 1950's Brown's
watched by a young boy - 6 year
old William S.
Brown and 4 year old Edna Brown
are helping to herd the pigs
'THE ONE AND ONLY W. S. BROWN & SONS'
William S Brown (the great grandson of the founder of the business) at his butchers stall in Hanley Market
- still producing the 'celebrated Cambridge Sausage'
opposite Orb street at 48 Broad Street is Mercer Jones, Insurance Broker
in the 1900-1920's this shop was John Emery & Sons, Music Dealer
to the right was the Brown's bakehouse
48 Broad Street, Hanley - in
Emery, Bernard J.R., music dealer and professor of music
Wood and Parkes, wholesale
grocers at 46 Broad Street
was purchased in the early 1930's and became
formerly Brown's bakehouse - 46 Broad Street
|Wood & Parkes grocers at 46 Broad Street was on the opposite side of Broad Street to the butchers - in the early 1930's Browns purchased the grocers shop and opened Brown's bakehouse enabling the firm to supply pork pies and sausage rolls to all its outlets.
the white fronted shop to the left of the photo is 27 Broad Street - now (July 2013) demolished
this was the home of W. S. Brown & Sons, butchers, from c.1880-1990
This photograph of the block of shops where W. S. Brown were situated was taken from Broad Street, to the left is Crown Street ans to the right is Orb Street (originally Queen Street)
The two premises which were to the left of Brown's butchers (the white building) were demolished in the late 1920's or early 30's and this plot of land was never re-built on.
In 1907 the occupants were...
At one time No. 29 (the red building on the photo) was a shop selling weighing scales (Avery, Berkel etc) and in the 1970/80's the Red Bar Grill (Nos. 31,31a) was 'Midland Refrigeration'.
In the 1930's 29 Broad Street was converted to become part of Brown's shop.
Along Crown Street, there were originally typically terraced housing (as indicated by early maps around 1900) they were demolished - probably in the 30's or 40's at the same time as the Quiet Woman beer house - and Brown's butchers expanded to takeover some of the vacant ground. An extension to house a new coal fired boiler was put in around 1950 (with access off Crown Street).
Prior to the introduction of electricity, much of the machinery was driven via steam power.
contents: 2013 photos