Berry Hill  (Stoke-on-Trent)
Arial picture of The Berryhill fields
The Berryhill fields cover the vast majority of the picture. 
The estate in the foreground  is Sandford Hill which also covers a wide area.

Berryhill fields is the largest area of open space in the city. It is linked to nearby Park Hall country park by the Moss field greenway and therefore represents a significant recreational resource for a large proportion of the city's urban population

 

The landform is a result of extensive coal mining and tipping in the past and today as a moorland type character with wildlife in abundance. Bird life abounds and includes Skylarks , reed buntings, grey partridge and song thrushes-all nationally threatened species but thriving in their new habitats.

There is still evidence of a 13C. MOATED MANOR

The site has been seriously affected by past coal mining from the Mossfield Colliery Site and related industrial activity in the late 18th and 19th centuries with remnant spoil mounds and 120 pit shafts. 

In the late 1980's, after natural regeneration had provided a valued grassland / moorland site, British Coal was prevented from developing open cast mining after a celebrated public enquiry.

 

The Berryhill Fields Millennium project will transform the 68 hectare derelict sight of a former open cast coal mine into a innovative community nature park. The 2.7 million nationally funded environmental project will be completed by the year 2000 to provide an enduring city landmark for the next millennium. 

Berryhill Fields is surrounded by housing; the Changing Places Project will therefore provide a sustainable community open space conserving and enhancing the existing ecology and archaeology. The site will become a major focus for informal recreation and environmental education.

Phase one treatment of 52 pit shafts was completed in March 1996

 

 

Fishing at 'Tiddlers Pool' on the Berry Hill fields.

Fishing at 'Tiddlers Pool' on the Berry Hill fields.

 

Location of The Berryhill fields in Stoke-on-Trent

Berry Hill is situated on the right hand side of Stoke-on-Trent. The whole of the right hand side was an extension to the borough boundary in 1922.

The following areas were added in 1922: Chell Heath, Norton-in-the-Moors, Smallthorne, Milton, Abbey Hulton, Bcknall, Bentille, Meir and Lightwood.


 

Map from archaeological scan The Berry Hill Moated Manor of the 13thC.

Nearly everyone in the middle ages lived in the countryside.

Most people lived in small villages with farmland around them, these were called manors and were controlled by the Lord of the Manor.

One of these manors was at Berry Hill, at that time Berry Hill was in the countryside.

This area has not been built on by later generations, by scanning the ground the archeologists produced this map. 

 

Reconstruction of Berryhill Manor

A reconstruction of Berry Hill Manor from the archaeological evidence at Berry Hill and written evidence from manors.

If you want to print this page out then set the print to landscape.

 
  [ Comments / Questions? email: Steven Birks ]