Stoke-on-Trent - Potworks of the week
Albion Street Works, Shelton
|Thomas Dimmock (Jnr) & Co
operated the original Albion Street Works (1828-59) - trade directories gave the address as variously Cheapside, Albion Street, Stafford Street - the works sat on land which was bounded by these streets.
Dimmocks Pottery Works, Shelton
these works were built on 1861 on the site of the previous works of Thomas Dimmock & Co
photo: the Warrillow Collection
Situated opposite the Town Hall in Hanley - this immense pottery factory was bounded by Stafford Street, to the front is Albion Street and to the left side (in the photo above) was Cheapside. On the other side was Stafford Street.
The works were demolished in 1904.
Later a skating rink and after that a cinema was built on the site - these were subsequently demolished.
Later the Top Rank night club was built on the corner nearest the camera, eventually it became a bingo hall. On the other corner a C&A store was eventually built.
In 1904 the demolition of the great chimney at Dimmock's was almost an event for a local holiday and was watched by huge crowds of people. Afterwards postcards of the event were sold.
reference from John Dimmock & Co.....
July 14th 1879
"The bearer Richard Watkin
has worked for
ppro J Dimmock & Co