Etruria: Etruria and Josiah Wedgwood (1760 onwards)
1832 Hargreaves Map - Etruria area
Below is an extract from Thomas Hargreavesí Map of the Staffordshire Potteries & Newcastle-under-Lyme published in 1832.
The dotted line added to the map shows the land in the ownership of the Wedgwood family. The new factory was constructed at the point where the Trent and Mersey Canal built in 1766-77 met the Newcastle to Leek road turnpiked in 1765.
By 1832 a horse-drawn tramway ran from the collieries above Mill Street (now Etruria Road) into the centre of the factory at Etruria.
Hargreaves Map of the North Staffordshire Potteries and Newcastle, 1832
questions/comments/contributions? email: Steve Birks