Hulton Abbey, of which nothing is now visible above ground, was a
Cistercian house founded in 1223. (Recent excavations have uncovered
The Abbey was founded by Henry De Audley in 1219 and consecrated in
1223. Following the dissolution in 1538 the site was lost until 1884;
it was located during a chance excavation, later being investigated
and published by Lynam
St Bartholomew. Small, with a bell-turret. The core of the
building is of 1626 - see the three-light mullioned windows. The
church is however altered.
It was restored and enlarged by Lynam in 1867. - plate.
Elizabethan Chalice and Paten.
St. Bartholomew, Blurton
photo: © Geoff Pick Aug 2007
(St Mary. 1854-6 by Ward & Son of Hanley. E.E. cpdd)
Marychurch - Bucknall Parish Church
photo: Steve Birks - July 2001
St Matthias. 1868 by C. Lynam. Small, with a thin
square sw tower accessible by an outer stair. Black brick columns and
exposed red brick otherwise.
An enterprising job. The chancel, thickly ornate, is by Rushworth,
1862, and indeed more High Victorian in character than Lynam's
St Matthias - Hanford
photo: Steve Birks - Feb 2007
St Philip and St James. 1865. Recently two bays were added
at the w end, and a hall.
Postcard of St. Phillip and St.
photo: Steve Birks Feb 2007
Methodist Church. 1862 by George B. Ford, Really
The mystery is that this was designed as fitting and accepted as such.
St Bartholomew. On the top of a hill with views to the e
towards the Peak - nature, and yet factories and Stoke housing as
well. 1737-8 by Richard Trubshaw.
The e half by J. H. Beckett, 1914. Brick, with a w tower.
The w doorway has a rusticated surround of alternating sizes of the
blocks. Ball finials.
The original building probably had just three bays and a short
chancel. Square piers and low, flat ceilings. Beckett added transepts
and a new chancel. - plate. Two Plates by I.P., 1737; Flagon by
Richard Gurney & Co., 1747; Chalice, c.1747.
Church of St Bartholomew on Norton Lane
Built in 1737 by Richard
Trubshawe, this undated drawing by T.P Wood shows a classical building
with a short brick tower and ball finials.
William Salt Library
(Staffordshire Views VIII-108)
Ford Green Hall, by the railway crossing. Now a museum.
A lovely, timber-framed house with a two-bay Georgian addition. The
timberwork is mostly closely set verticals, but higher up also
concave-sided lozenges. The gables are plain white now. - Square brick
Ford Green Hall, Smallthorne, Stoke on Trent
The hall is a 17th century house and period garden open to
the public. It is furnished with original and reproduction textiles,
ceramics and furniture.
photo: Phil Eptlett Dec 2005