Stoke-on-Trent - Advert of the week
Lewis's Department Store, Hanley
Lewis's Department Store, Lamb Street, Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent
advert from 1957 City of Stoke-on-Trent Handbook
Lewis's - A Household Word
Lewis's advert in the Crewe Chronicle - June 1941
Christmas time at Lewis's.....
Lewis's Christmas advert
'What a Wonderful Place Lewis's is this Christmas'
'Father Christmas in his Fairy Tale Grotto'
'A Thousand and one Gifts in Lewis's Toy Fair'
Lewis’s Christmas window - 1967
A Christmas window display
full of toys at Lewis’s department store, Hanley.
No electronic video games or Playstations, all low-tech toys such as dolls, books and jigsaws.
photo: © The Potteries Museum
& Art Gallery
Staffordshire Past Tracks
Alfred Pepper was Santa at Lewis’s in Hanley for many years
this photo probably late 1930's
Alfred died in 1946
photo: Nigel Pepper (Great grandson)
Mike Stanton's memories of Christmas in Hanley in 1949:
Bounded by Market Square, Stafford Street, Fountain Square and Lamb Street was an "island" department store.
The first store was built in 1883 for McIlroy's - it fronted Stafford Street. In 1935 it was purchased by Lewis's who built a new store in the Art Deco style this store lasted until 1964 when Lewis's moved to their new purpose built department store further along Stafford Street on the site of the previous Bishop & Stonier's pottery works.
The original old McIlroy's / Lewis's site was cleared and an arcade built with small retail units and offices above.
McIlroy’s store set the standard until it was replaced by Lewis’s store
"The People Providers," mantle makers, costumiers, house
drapers, curtain dealers, quilts, carpets, warehouse men , boot factors, &c."
- from a 1907 directory -
the same view in Sept 2011
in the distance is the pottery works of Bishop & Stonier's - this is where the second Lewis's store was built
Lewis's store, closest to the camera, was built in 1935 on the site of McIlroy’s
postcards: John Booth
Lewis's Art Deco style store on the corner of Lamb Street and Stafford Street, Hanley
'Lewis’s chrome and glass arcade is still remembered with affection'
Lewis’s was the first store in the Potteries to use an arcade, a very European Art-Deco innovation popularised in Paris in the first half of the 19th century. Arcades were indoor pedestrian shopping alleys that provided comfortable and stylish swish and a safe shopping environment away from the dirt and clutter of the street, away from adverse weather conditions.
The new Lewis's Department Store on Stafford Street in 1964
This photo was taken from the junction of Hope Street and New Hall Street.
photo of Debenham's store in Sept 2011
Rebuilding a shopping arcade on Lewis's old site..
View from Market Square looking
towards Lamb Street.
At the bottom of Lamb Street (just below the crane jib) can be seen the new Lewis's department store.
By contrast the 1860's store of Huntbatch's can be seen to the centre right.
View from Market Square
looking towards Lamb Street (on the right) and Fountain Square (on the left).
The left of the arcade (the facade of which is complete in the photo) housed Pidduck's the jewellers.
Photos: Peter Longshaw
"Fire is at the root of all things both visible and invisible"
The Man of Fire
Named by many as "Jack Frost" - the statue for the new Lewis's store was designed by the London sculptor David Wynne.
David Wynne spent some time in the Potteries looking for inspiration and he said "..it hit me that the sculpture must have something to do with the great fires which dominate the life of the Potteries...."
The statue is made of anodised aluminium. It is 35 feet high and 28 feet wide, it weighs 1.25 tons.
Hanley in the mid 1950's
many buildings are recognisable...
Green - the location of the first Lewis's store - built in 1934 on the site of Mcllroys department store
- originally the site of Bishop &
Stoniers pottery works, at the time of this photo
the works had been replaced by shops, in 1963/4 Lewis's moved into a new store on this site.
Orange - St. John's Church - still standing.
Yellow- the building marked in yellow was the indoor market - now demolished and part of the Potteries Shopping Centre.
Blue - the blue building was Hunbatch's department store - again demolished and part of the Potteries Shopping Centre.
Purple - Bratt and Dyke's store - the building is still standing.
Light blue - Lloyds Bank, built on the site of Hanley's second town hall.
the same location in 2011 - the area is dominated by the Potteries Shopping Centre
which incorporated Lewis's second store and took over the location of Huntbach's and the indoor market.
St. John's Chruch, Bratt & Dyke's and Lloyds Bank are still identifiable.
Hanley got there first in size and quality - Hanley got rid of its town centre factories when its civic fathers decided that retail and commerce were more fitting to fashionable success.