Ann Warburton & Son


Location and period of operation:

Ann Warburton & Son

Hot Lane



The factory was in Hot Lane (on the boundary of Burslem and Cobridge) in the North Staffordshire Potteries

The output was primarily cream-coloured wares. 

Ann Warburton (ne้ Daniel) (b.1713-d.1798) was the eldest child of Thomas Daniel, their family was amongst the oldest connected with the pottery industry of North Staffordshire. 

Ann married John Warburton (b.1720-d.1761) who was the son of an important potter - Joseph Warburton (b.1694-d.1752)

  • Ann succeeded her husband John by 37 years and became a pottery manufacturer in her own right - she took Thomas, their son, as a partner. 

  • The factory was also engaged at this period in independent enamelling, much of it for Wedgwood who sent quantities of tableware to Hot Lane for this purpose.

  • The manufacturer of the cream-ware was much improved during Mrs. Warburton's management of the business. She introduced a number of improvements including a process which made on-glaze enamelling of cream-ware possible. 

  • With her brother Ralph she developed an export trade in salt glaze ware to Holland. This trade is said to have encouraged Dutch enamellers to come to Cobridge. 

  • Her brother Ralph Daniel is credited with the introduction of plaster of paris moulds, after a visit to France about 1745.

  • She was exporting to Russia by 1774.

  • Ann died in 1798 and was buried in St. John's churchyard, Burslem.

People of the Potteries. A Dictionary of Local Biography


The Warburton family of potters

Questions / comments / contributions?  email: Steve Birks