|Warburton Family | People from Stoke-on-Trent|
| index: W |
[ Web Site Index ]
the Warburton family:
In 1766 members of the Warburton family were prominent among the list of trustees of the Cobridge school.
They were a Catholic family and originality were tenants of the Biddulph family on part of the Grange estate. They bought a large part of the land sold by the Biddulph family on the east side of the estate. Here in the early 18th century John Warburton built a Potworks for the manufacture of white stoneware with a considerable export trade to Holland.
By the time he died in 1752 he had amassed a considerable property which included an estate in Cheshire for which he paid £1,000 as well as land in Cobridge.
His two sons operated two separate potteries. John Warburton, the eldest, ran a works in Hot Lane until his death at the age of 40 in 1760. The younger son, Joseph Warburton, had a Potworks in Cobridge which he worked until his death in 1769.