Location and period of operation:
Formerly (1869-92) James F Wileman
The firm of Wileman & Co in business at the Foley Pottery, Fenton, Staffs from c.1892 to 1925 when they were renamed Shelley.
NOTE: The name FOLEY was also used on ware of the pottery E. Brain
WILEMAN, James Francis (died 1900), pottery manufacturer, Fenton.
J FW was the son of Henry Wileman, a London (Paddington) china and earthenware dealer who came to the Potteries about 1853 and went into partnership with Joseph King Knight at the Foley Potteries. James and his brother Charles joined their father from1864 to 1868, when Charles took the new china works built by Henry Wileman in 1860 and James took the original works. Charles retired in 1870 and JFW assumed control of both potteries.
He was in partnership with J.B. Shelley in1872, trading as Wileman and Company. The factory produced household wares, most of the products going to overseas markets. Both brothers served as Fenton improvement commissioners in 1864, and James was chief bailiff 1870-2 and chairman of the Board of Health in 1825.
Eventually he became an alderman on Stafford county council, and served as chairman of the Staffordshire Potteries Water Board.
Sources: Dir. 1872, Fenton Commissioners' Minutes; Jewitt.
Initials and marks used on ware for identification:
THE FOLEY CHINA
click below for more information:-
1956 article on Shelly
Questions / comments /
email: Steve Birks
updated: 20 Nov 2005