Winkle & Co
Location and period of operation:
F Winkle & Co (Ltd)
Earthenware manufacturer at the Colonial Pottery, Whieldon Road, Stoke, Stoke-on-Trent.
A business between Winkle and Wood started in 1885 at the Pearl Pottery in Hanley.
In 1888 Winkle and Wood jointly opened the purpose built Colonial Pottery Works in Whieldon Road on the border of Stoke and Fenton.
In 1890 F. Winkle continued on his own at the Colonial Pottery and Wood continued at the Pearl Pottery works, Hanley.
In the early 1900's the business was owned by the Hewitt brothers - William and Joseph; (who were later also the owners of Barker Bros in Longton). The business continued under the name F Winkle & Co Ltd.
c.1911 the company became 'Ltd'.
In 1931 the business was taken over by Ridgways (Bedford Works) Ltd. who took the earthenware manufacture in-house.
The Colonial Pottery Works was taken by a new company - Whieldon Sanitary Potteries Ltd - who in turn became (around 1949) a subsidiary pf Doulton & Co.
The works were demolished c.2000.
Initials and names used on ware for identification:
F W & Co
F WINKLE & CO
Winkle used the trade name 'Whieldon Ware'
after the name of a famous 18th Century
potter Thomas Whieldon who lived and worked
in this area.
The road that Winkle's Colonial Pottery was
situated on is called Whieldon Road
early mark F W & Co
without the place of origin:- "ENGLAND"
VERSAILLE is the pattern name
19th century brown transfer ware ironstone vase in the
Aesthetic Movement pattern "Versaille" by F. Winkle & Co.
It stands 5" high and 2 1/2" wide at the mouth of the vase.
picture: courtesy of Oak Leaf Antiques.
follow these links for more information:-
The Colonial Pottery
Wood's factory was situated alongside the Trent and Mersey canal
In the foreground is Whieldon Road.
1893 trade journal article on Winkle
Mount Pleasant! The very name evokes Englishness with a tinge of Norman chivalry sufficient to enchant the imagination back to baronial times, castle-keeps and sheriffs, pastoral landscapes, parish lore, and village peace.
Grove Road, Heron Cross, Great Fenton
- Early potters walked the track from Lower Lane to Lane Delph:
Thomas Whieldon 1719-1795 a Master Potter who influenced and taught the famous potters Ralph & Aaron Wood and Josiah Spode. He was in partnership with Josiah Wedgwood.
Questions / comments / contributions? email: Steve Birks