Blue John Pottery Ltd






 

Location and period of operation:

Blue John Pottery Ltd

Hanley

1939 

1975

 

Earthenware manufacturer at Union Street, Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent, England.
  • The Blue John Pottery was started around 1936 by members of the Lockett family as a pottery dealer & wholesaler. The name 'Blue John' is possibly derived from the rare blue-banded fluorspar mineral known as 'Blue-John' found near Castleton in Derbyshire. 

  • From around 1939 the business became a manufacturer of general and fancy earthenware.

  • The 1960 Pottery Gazette reference book records that they were manufacturers of: "EARTHENWARE... badged ware, beakers, canteen ware, cups (eggs), floral fancies, hospital ware, jugs (flowers), nursery ware,  pie funnels, plaques, teapots (earthenware, decorated) vases, wall vases."

  • In 1960 the company officers were: Managing Director - H. E. Lockett, Sales Director - H. E. Lockett Jnr, Works Manager - R. D. Stephenson.

  • Although some directories state 'Estd. 1886', this is not the date of the start of Blue John Pottery - it will be the date of an earlier pottery company on the same site.  

  • Harold E. Lockett (the elder) died in 1967. Mr. Harold E. Lockett, Jnr was the Managing Director when the business closed in September 1975. 

 


 

 


unglazed jug 

Blue John



 

 


matt unglazed vase 
in the blossom pattern

Blossom
England

Blue John
Pottery 

 


 

 


matt decorated vase 

BJP
England 

 


Blue John Pottery
Made in England

photos courtesy: Rob Saunders

 


 

 


soup dishes 

Blue John Pottery



Marks used on ware for identification:


BJP

Blue John

Blue John Pottery

 

 


Blue John

1939+


Blue John Pottery

1947-9


Blue John Pottery
Made in England

1949+

 

 

  


Questions, comments, contributions? email: Steve Birks