Location and period of operation:
Hammersley and Co
China manufacturer at the Alsager Pottery, Sutherland Road Longton, Stoke-on-Trent
The Sutherland Road works were started in 1862 by Messers. Adams, Scrivener & Co. (Titus Hammersley was the '& Co').
After a few years Mr. Scrivener retired and the business was continued by Adams and Hammersley as "Harvey Adams & Co".
Titus Hammersley also had an interest in "Hammersley, Freeman & Co" at the adjoining Prince of Wales Works.
In 1875 Titus Hammersley died and was succeeded by his oldest son George Harris Hammersley who continued with Mr. Harvey Adams.
In 1885 Mr. Harvey Adams retired and the business continued as Hammersley & Co.
The partners were George Harris Hammersley and Sarah Hammersley.
In 1888 George H Hammersley was replaced by his brother, Gilbert, as the principle.
The sons of Gilbert Hammersley joined the business - Eric V Hammersley (in 1910), Leslie B Hammersley (in 1919).
In 1932 the company was renamed Hammersley and Co (Longton) Ltd.
Previously: Harvey Adams & Co
Subsequently: Hammersley and Co (Longton) Ltd
London Gazette, September 8, 1885
notice that Harvey Adams left the business (of Harvey Adams & Co)
which was continued by George Harris Hammersley
London Gazette, May 1, 1888
notice that George Harris Hammersley retired from partnership
and the business was continued by Sarah Hammersley
and Gilbert Hammersley
Initials and marks used on ware for identification:
H & C
H & Co
often with a crown
1887 - 1912
HAMMERSLEY & Co
with the name in full
always associated with a crown
are 1912 onwards
printed marks with a crown, sometimes with the place name 'LONGTON, STOKE-on-TRENT'
with the addition of 'ENGLAND"
Sutherland Road Works
- click photo for more info on the works -
questions/comments/contributions? email: Steve Birks