& Sons (Ltd)
Location and period of operation:
Manufacture of earthenware at the Dresden works, Tinkersclough, in Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent.
Formerly Lancaster & Barker - the partners were Frederick John Lancaster, Emily Lancaster and Edward John Barker.
When the partnership of Lancaster & Barker was dissolved in July 1899 the business was continued by Frederick John Lancaster.
'& Sons' was added to the company mark in 1906.
At some time was renamed to Lancaster & Sons (Hanley) Ltd.
Later the partners were Edwin Lancaster and Mr T H Sandland as a co-director.
Formerly: Lancaster & Barker
Subsequently: Lancaster and Sandland Ltd
- click for more information on the Dresden Works -
Initials and marks used on ware for identification:
had the printed initials L S
L & Sons Ltd
marks 1906+ included "& Sons" or "& S"
from 1906 most marks included "Ltd"
was a trade name used
from 1930 onwards
MADE IN ENGLAND
L & SONS LTD
marks used 1920+
Royall & Lansan
trade mark used 1930+
source: Geoffrey Godden British Pottery & Porcelain Marks
Biscuit barrel by Lancaster & Sons
small Lancaster & Sons vase - decoration based on the Willow Pattern
picture: Chris Commerford
detail of the Willow Pattern
- click for more information
on the Dresden Works -
questions/comments/contributions? email: Steve Birks