a walk along the Caldon Canal
Etruria Basin and Wharf
the archway to Etruria Wharf and Locks
the route of the Caldon Canal from Etruria to Froghall
Etruria Wharf on the Caldon Canal
Etruria Wharf and Basin on the Caldon Canal - on the left is the Trent & Mersey Canal
in the centre on the Trent & Mersey Canal is the Etruscian Flint Mill
Warehouse at Etruria Wharf
Etruria Wharf is situated at the junction of the Trent and Mersey and Caldon Canals. In the nineteenth century the wharf was the 'headquaters; of the canal and its centrality made it the perfect location for a boatman's church, opened in 1844.
Wedgwood was closely associated with both canals and built his famous factory next to the canal at Etruria.
the boatman's church and the Wedgwood factory were only a few hundred yards away from Etruria wharf.
Beth Johnson housing on Etruria Basin and Wharf
the statue is of James Brindley the canal builder
Canal Engineer 1716 - 1772
location of the 1804 'Dispensary and House of Recovery' - by 1819 a new infirmary had been built nearby
to the left is the Caldon Canal
first hospital, the Dispensary and House of recovery, was built on the
site facing you in 1804.
Poor access and polution made expansion at this site undesirable. A new site was found when it was decided to extend the hospital's work to include industrial accidents.
The building was later bought by the British Gas and Light Company."
map showing the Dispensary and House of Recovery and the gasworks of the British Gas Light Company
the Caldon Canal is at the top of the map
it closed in 1819 as a dispensary the buildings were used to house canal workers
from 1820 to 1870 the building was used to house nine families many of whom worked on the canal.
location of the Dispensary and House of Recovery is shown in red
and the gasworks of the British Gas Light Company shown in blue
next: Bedford Street Staircase Locks
Previous: Etruria Junction