"on a little hill
in the vast valley, was spread out the Indian-red architecture of
Bursley - tall chimneys and rounded ovens, schools, the new
scarlet market... and rows of little red houses with the amber
chimney chimney-pots, and the gold angel of the blackened Town
Hall topping the whole.
The sedate reddish browns and reds of the composition, all netted
in flowing scarves of smoke, harmonised exquisitely with the chill
blues of the chequered sky.
Beauty was achieved, and none saw it."
Former Town Hall. 1854.
Ashlar. 2-storeyed, the main hall of 7 bays with
western tower over open entrance or passage way. Baroque in
inspiration. Battered ground floor of channelled ashlar with
heavy moulded plinth carrying paired Corinthian pilasters to
first floor which support cornice beneath parapet with
pronounced overhang and frieze.
Ground floor windows set in coved recesses with
keystones, tall round arched windows above. West tower has open
ground floor with coved arches on 3 sides and paired Corinthian
columns at outer angles. Volutes to clock tower terminate in
caryatides carrying the blocking course beneath octagonal turret
with ogival roof and angel finial. Eastern end divided into the
bays with pilasters to first storey.
Central doorway to ground floor with coved
architrave to panelled door. Upper sash windows have shell
motifs as hood. Inside, double staircase with heavily scrolled
iron balusters, and heavy classical architraves to doorways.
Main chamber at first floor level, with
Corinthian pilasters articulating the walls, coved ceiling with
elaborate wrought-iron ties.
and the Town Hall
This picture taken from
St Johns Square to the right and
Westport Road (was Liverpool Road) to the right.
description of the Town Hall
Details of the
first Town Hall
OS Map showing
location of Town Hall
2000 photo of
the second Town Hall
foreground is a stature of Sir Henry Doulton
In the left background is the Queens Theatre which was
built in 1911 as Burslem's 3rd Town Hall
tower - minus the 'Angel' - 1998
when this photo was taken the winged figure had been
removed for restoration.
Removed from atop the Burslem old Town Hall in
whilst refurbishment work took place for the Ceramica project.
The angel was on display in the Potteries Museum, Hanley
and then at the Royal Doulton Visitor in Burslem.
In December 2000
the angel was taken to the premises
of Bailey International Steeplejacks in Macclesfield
for restoration and re-guilding.
photograph of the Town Hall
This photo taken from Fountain Place end of Market
Behind the Town Hall can be seen the Burslem Meat Market
Town Hall and Meat Market (foreground)
from Wedgwood Street/Moorland Road
The Meat Market was built some 10 years after
the second town hall, on the site of the previous market.
It was demolished in 1958 and replaced by a
bandstand and a small garden. It is now the entrance
The atlas figures
have naked torsos, their lower body and legs
have been replaced by a large scroll-like feature,
their arms reach up over their heads to support the bell tower.
Burslem Town Hall