in Stoke-on-Trent and area
Former chapel of
Methodist New Connexion, Tunstall
19 April 1972
Nos.27 AND 28 Former Chapel of
Methodist New Connexion
STOKE ON TRENT SJ85SE TOWER
Built 1821, much altered but retaining the upper facade of
the former chapel.
Elevation to Piccadilly Street (to the left)
of 2 storeys, rising to 3 over sloping ground to west.
Former chapel of Methodist New Connection now in
use as offices and shops.
1821, with later modification. Painted brick with
plain tiled roof.
Pedimented facade to Tower Square with inserted
early 20th Century shop fronts to ground floor, with a
continuous fascia carried on console brackets and windows with
leaded upper lights and some decorative glazing.
Central Palladian window in stuccoed architrave
above, flanked by 2 windows in shouldered architraves. Plaque in
Elevation to Piccadilly Street of 2 storeys,
rising to 3 over sloping ground to west. All windows altered,
through original flat arched heads survive, and there is one
early 19th Century doorcase with moulded architrave.
Tower Square, Tunstall - the chapel has a commanding position
In the centre is the clock tower, erected in
1893, in a yellowish brick. The tower stands on the site of the
original town hall. It was built by public subscription to
honour Sir Smith Child.
on the clock tower
Date plaque of 1821 in pediment
Central Palladian window in stuccoed
flanked by 2 windows in shouldered architraves.
Steve Birks Aug 2001
on the Methodist New Connexion
next: Clock Tower,
previous: Tunstall Public Library & Baths