in Stoke-on-Trent and area
Clock Tower, Tunstall
29 Oct 1986
Clock Tower and
STOKE ON TRENT SJ85SE TOWER
Clock Tower, 1893 - yellow terracotta square chamfered pier
Clock Tower - Tower Square, Tunstall
In the centre is the clock tower, erected in
1893, in a yellowish brick.
The tower stands on the site of the original town hall.
to the left is the former chapel of the Methodist
Clock Tower. 1893, paid for by public
subscription in commemoration of the Smith-Child family.
Yellow terracotta in imitation of ashlar masonry.
Square chamfered pier on wider base with gableted pilaster
Small shouldered archway to doorway giving access
to stair in one facade, the others having recessed arched panels
bearing inscriptions of donors names, and facing the Town Hall,
a bust set in a foiled niche with ornate hood mould over.
The clock itself is set in a square stage with
gableted cap surmounted by a small fleche. The tower is raised
on steps and surrounded by cast-iron railings, cast in
Sir Smith Child of Newfield Hall, Tunstall
by Public Subscription
A. D. 1893
in the Town of his birth
and in the 86th year of his age
IN HONOUR OF
who foremost by every good
work by generous gifts and wise
counsel sought to brighten the
lives of the
and by noble Endowment of
Convalescent Homes offered a
priceless boon to
THE SUFFERING POOR
Steve Birks Aug 2001
Sir Smith Child:
"He contributed annually to the Staffordshire Infirmary, served
as president and vice-president of its general management
committee and was elected a patron in 1895. In 1877 he built and
endowed the Smith Child ward, originally intended for incurable
patients but eventually opened as a children’s hospital. Two
years earlier he had founded the North Staffordshire Incurables
Fund, for sending . patients on holiday. He also supported, in
Tunstall, the local Nursing Society and the Samaritan Society,
and at Longton the Cottage Hospital.
extended to other fields. He supported the Tunstall Choral
Society; the Victoria Institute, Tunstall, was built largely as
a result of his efforts and support and accommodated, at various
times, a museum, an art school, a technical school, a high
school for girls, a library and a reading room. Nor were his
benefactions confined to Tunstall. He supported the
establishment of the Wedgwood Institute, Burslem, gave £200 to
the North Staffordshire Chamber of Commerce to encourage the
teaching of Spanish and Portuguese, the languages of the
expanding pottery markets in South America, and £1,000 towards
the establishment of a girls’ industrial school at Lichfield."
Source: People of the Potteries.
on Sir Smith
next: Lodge at
previous: Former Chapel of the Methodist New Connexion, Tunstall