Blurton - Stoke-on-Trent
|The resources and transcripts on this page are from GenUKI - the leading Internet genealogical resource in the UK|
From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851
"Blurton is a pleasantly situated village, two and a half miles E of Trentham, comprising within its chapelry (to Trentham) the enclosed district called Lightwood Forest, and the hamlets of Cocknage, Cold Ridding, and Spratslade, the latter of which forms a suburb of cottages adjoining Longton. "
The population of Blurton chapelry in 1831 was 849, in 1841 it was 876.
Blurton chapelry became part of Stone Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.
Church of England History
"Blurton Church, (St Bartholomew), is a plain old structure.
The benefice is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Duke of Sutherland, and incumbency of the Rev. John Hutchinson, MA, canon of Lichfield."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851)
The church of St Bartholomew, Blurton, was a chapelry of Trentham parish, details of which can be found on the Trentham page.
Church of England Records
The register of St Bartholomew commences in 1754. The original registers for the period 1813-1975 (Bapts), 1754-1770 & 1842-1983 (Mar) and 1828-1967 (Bur) are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office. Earlier entries are included with Trentham.
A transcript of the Trentham registers which include Blurton chapelry for the period 1558-1812 was published in two parts by the Staffordshire Parish Register Society in 1906 and has been reprinted by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
Bishops Transcripts, 1814-1838 are deposited at Lichfield Joint Record Office. Earlier Bishops Transcripts are included with Trentham.
[The history of the City of Stoke-on-Trent]
Questions and comments to: Steve Birks: firstname.lastname@example.org