Marks of North Staffordshire potters
[index by signs, logos, devices]  

thepotteries.org 

Beehive marks

[ marks guide index ]

Beehive marks

Beehive marks were used by:-

S. Alcock & Co
Burgess, Leigh & Co
Burgess & Leigh
Dunn Bennett & Co
Wallis Gimson & Co
William Ridgway


The beehive was a picture of industry and cooperation - this mark appears to have first been used by Samuel Alcock - he moved into the Hill Pottery, Burslem around 1828 and rebuilt it in 1839 - the Hill Pottery was large and impressive. These works were used by many potters and some of them (Dunn Bennett and Burgess & Leigh) carried on with the use of the beehive mark. 

on the Hill Pottery Works

 

Samuel Alcock
Hill Pottery, Burslem c.1830-59

"Commerce" is the pattern name and the mark is an impressed beehive


Samuel Alcock
Hill Pottery, Burslem c.1830-59

"Neptune" is the pattern name and the mark is a printed beehive

on Samuel Alcock

 

 


 

Dunn Bennett & Co
Basic mark shows a beehive
mark c.1886+

Initials: D B & Co

"INDIAN" is the pattern name

1886 was when Dunn Bennett moved to the Hill Works in Burslem


Dunn Bennett & Co
mark c.1891-1907

1886 was when Dunn Bennett moved to the Hill Works in Burslem
"ENGLAND" was added 1891 onwards 

Most marks after 1907 have "& Co Ltd"

on Dunn Bennett marks


Burgess, Leigh & Co
mark c.1862-1867

Marked  "KENSINGTON" which is the pattern name.
 "B & L & Co" for Burgess Leigh & Co.

Burgess Leigh & Co occupied the Central Pottery, Burslem from 1862 to 1867.
In 1867 as Burg
ess & Leigh they occupied the earthenware department at the Hill Pottery (see mark below) 

Below is a registration diamond 

 

 


Burgess & Leigh
mark c.1867-1899

Marked "HILL POTTERY" "NORMAN" which is the pattern name.
 "B & L" for Burgess and Leigh.

In 1867 Burgess & Leigh occupied the earthenware department at the Hill Pottery and then in 1899 moved to purpose built pottery at Middleport. 

Below is a registration diamond 

 


Burgess & Leigh mark c.1930's

Burgess & Leigh continued to use the beehive mark when they moved to the Middleport pottery.

The trade name "BURLEIGH WARE" was introduced in the 1930's

on Burgess & Leigh marks


New Wharf Pottery mark c.1891-1894

In 1877 Thomas, or T.F. Wood as he was called in later years, along with his brother William Wood, purchased for 5075 a site in Navigation Road, which they called New Wharf Pottery, and which they had probably been tenants or since 1875. 
The name New Wharf was probably derived from the New Wharf that was built on the nearby canal at that time.

the addition of "ENGLAND" dates this mark as 1891+

the use of the 'garden urn' as part of a pottery mark was used extensively by the Ridgway families. 

on New Wharf Pottery


Ridgways mark c.1891-1920

William Ridgway (c.1830's) and their subsequent pottery companies used this style of mark with the garden urn. 

Ridgways at the Bedford Works, Shelton reissued some early marks and this mark is 1891+ (because of the addition of 'ENGLAND')

This is an identical designed mark as the New Wharf Pottery mark shown above - there is no known connection between the two companies, however it was not unknown for potters to swap plain ware for redecorating, moulds and patterns - so the New Wharf Pottery may have used some Ridgway ware to get them going at the new works. 

 


 

Wallis Gimson & Co  1884-1890

A printed mark of a beehive with
the name of the company was used

on Wallis Gimson

 

The bottom mark is identical to the Wallis Gimson & Co mark but it has the initials M B & Co instead of the Gimson name.

I assume that Gimson made ware for another company with the M B & Co initials. 
The registered number 7624 was first registered 1884 - which fits in with the dates for Gimson.  

 


[ marks guide index ]

   

questions/comments/contributions - email: Steve Birks

 

 

 updated: 8 April 2005