| North Staffs Hospitals
   Hospitals in North Staffordshire

   Index  

[ Web Site Index ]

Index for 2nd Hospital
Index for all hospitals

"North Staffordshire Infirmary"
The second hospital at Etruria

 

Date event
1814 November 18th, 1814 meeting held at the Swan Inn, Hanley.
It was decided not to extend but to build a new Infirmary - this was for three main reasons:-

a) Insufficient ground.
b) Being surrounded sooner or later by manufactories and buildings.
c) In an inaccessible position

1815 March 10th, 1815 - it was resolved to purchase land offered by Mr. Josiah Wedgwood. 
This land was on the Wood Hills, situated on the turnpike road leading from Etruria Wharf towards Cobridge.
Six acres of land were purchased at 200 per acre, with a further three acres to be leased for 10 years with an option to purchase. 
1816 Plans and estimates for the new building were prepared by Mr. Potter.
1816 July 3rd, 1867 - Sir John Edensor Heathcote of Longton Hall (proxy for the patron, the Marquis of Stafford) laid the foundation of the new Infirmary. 
1819 April 22nd - just before the opening the Governors, with their Chairman, Josiah Spode, met to inspect it.
1819 May 5th the building was opened for the reception of the forty in-patients. It had a total accommodation for some 70 patients. 
1829 Fever wards were opened.
1852 New wards for the treatment of burns and scalds were opened. Many of the casualties came from the nearby Earl Granville's ironworks.
1855 New wing added on the north side. 
1861 Experts reported that the whole of the buildings were endangered from subsidence. (see below)
Mr William Yates of Eastwood, Hanley offered 5,000 for the building of a new Infirmary on another site, provided he was paid 250 per annum for life. It was decided to accept this.
The donation was of great importance and meant immediate action - Mr. Yates died a few days after signing the cheque, the Infirmary receiving the full benefit.  
1866 25th June, 1866 - foundation stone of 3rd Infirmary at Hartshill was laid
1869 The last year of the Infirmary - 5,449 outpatients and 1,232 inpatients were treated. 

 

   
water A well was sunk on the proposed site and a spring was found which yielded 1,700 gallons of water every 24 hours. 
funding Mr. John Tomlinson of Cliffe Ville formulated a plan for founding an accumulating fund. 
A legacy of 1,000 was received from the executors of Mr. John Rogers, Wolstanton.
subsidence The advance of industry into Etruria signaled the need to build a third Infirmary. 
Subsidence, brought about by nearby mines caused walls to be out of perpendicular, mostly in the wards to the east. Floors were found to be considerably out of level.
the developing district The district was no longer ideal for the healing of the sick, and the newly started and ever growing Tinkersclough tip mound of refuse from the Slippery Pit colliery and ironworks came within one hundred and fifty yards of the building. The tip was was burning and smouldering all the time and was the cause of many children being burnt.
In some cases children became overcome by the fumes and had to be brought into the Infirmary where, in several instances, they were only revived with the greatest of difficulty.

 

Index for 2nd Hospital
Index for all hospitals