Built in 1901 at the
Glasgow Locomotive works in Polmadie to the order of the Shelton
Iron & Steel Works Ltd given works number 4101, the engine has an
interesting history. Built as a true crane tank, that is to say a
normal steam locomotive with crane jib and auxiliary engines, the
design repays close inspection.
ton engine has 14" diameter by 22" stroke outside cylinders, single
slide bars and Laird type crossheads. A slewing engine powers the
jib through 360 degrees, whilst situated within the construction of
the jib, a reciprocating engine gives a lifting capacity of five
The boiler does not
have a dome due to the restricted clearances, the regulator valve
being mounted on the front tubeplate. Used as a workhorse around the
steelworks complex dealing with heavy lifting, shunting and
re-railing operations for no less than 72 years the engine was
amongst the last of its type in industrial use.
Receiving a new boiler from Kerr Stuart's in 1921 and conversion to
oil firing in 1961 the engine left Shelton for the East Somerset
Railway at Cranmore in September 1973. She was not the last steam
locomotive in normal service at Shelton however, this honour being
held by Bagnall 2623/1940 'HAWARDEN' in the spring of 1972.
At Cranmore "Dubsey" (for she was always caused this at Shelton) was
converted back to coal firing, returned to steam and used to relay
much of the railway to Merryfield. Purchased by a consortium of
Foxfield members in 1998 and moved to Foxfield on the 18th of
October the same year.
Last steamed in 1985
the engine was stripped down and underwent extensive overhaul for a
return to steam in 2001 to celebrate her centenary the engine will
become the worlds only operational crane tank.
For the record 4101 is a very rare beast, being only one of three
preserved Dubs & Co locomotives in the UK and the only industrial
survivor. In 1903 with Neilson Reid and Sharp Stewart the three
firms amalgamated and the works became the "Queens Park Works" of
the North British Locomotive Co.