Trentham Gardens Swimming Pool & Railway
Trentham Park estate was home and pleasure gardens to the Dukes of
Sutherland, the biggest property owners in Britain, from the seventeenth
to early twentieth century.
In 1540 the property had come into the hands of the Leveson family, who in time, with the help of tactical marriages, grew to be marquesses of Stafford and eventually dukes of Sutherland.
They developed their houses at Trentham to match their growing status....
In 1630, a manor with moat and drawbridge;
Lord Gower commissions architect William Smith of Warwick to
redesign the old hall into something which should be 'larger, higher
and handsomer than it was before';
1759 and 1780 there was a further development of the estate, involving
Lancelot 'Capability' Brown, who fashioned a fitting garden and
enlarged the lake.
In 1833, the Marquess of Stafford, on being promoted to duke, called in Sir Charles Barry to remodel his house and gardens. Barry transformed the house into an Italianate mansion with a noble semi-circular frontage and laid out a sequence of terraces running down to the
before the development of the estate as a public pleasure park,
after the Sutherlands had left, the pottery factory works enjoyed
access to the park and woodlands. Charles Shaw in his
autobiography 'When I was a Child' recalls once such outing in
1905, due to pollution of the River Trent from the sewerage and
industrial polution, the Sutherland family abandond the estate and
most of the Hall was demolished in 1911.
company 'Trentham Gardens Ltd' was established to develop and open
the gardens to the public.
swimming pool was built in the late 1920's in the art deco style.
the early 1960's there was seating capacity for 1,000 people.
pool closed in the mid 1970's and was demolished in 1986.
the estate was purchased by St. Modwen and a German Investor Willi
2003 planning permission was given to develop the gardens and
Postcard of Trentham Open Air
in the background is Trentham Lake
Advert for Trentham
'The Beauty Spot of the Midlands'
advert from the
By the time of this advert the Sutherland family
had left and their home, Trentham Hall had been demolished but the gardens
remained and were opened to the public the miniature railway, swimming pool
and ballrrom were all key attractions.
This Postcard shows the art
deco style of the buildings
Postcard of Trentham Swimming
there was seating for a thousand people around the pool
Postcard of Trentham Miniature
trains ran on a single track with a passing point - when each train
reached the end the seats were reversed for the return journey and the
engine changed ends.
The two engines were
called Golspie and Dunrobin which are areas in Sutherland. The
Sutherland's ancestral Home was Dunrobin Castle at Golspie.
contents: 2013 photos
Park and Hall - The client was the second Duke of
Sutherland, of the Leveson-Gower family. He inherited in 1833 and
at once began to make plans for a conversion and vast enlargement
of the house existing on the site.
Out' to Trentham at Tunstall Wakes - Charles Shaw
describes a day trip to Trentham park and woods in the 1840's.