James Kent (formerly Bakers
The Baker family of potters occupied the factories along the present City road since at least the beginning of the 19thC which is now the James Kent works.
They were probably responsible for the row of early cottages adjoining it on City Road.
The triangular development centred around Victoria Place was a later housing development of the Bakers.
Three calcining kilns in James Kent (Ceramic Materials) Ltd - formerly one of Bakers factories.
Kilns are c1900, brick with iron bands. Grade II listed buildings.
Fire station in the factory works, adjoining Fountain Street.
The plaque above the three windows reads '1909 FUDC'
Except where noted photos taken
November 1999 -
Information source: Potworks - Diane Barker.
[ Comments / Questions? email: Steven Birks ]