of Wales's Pottery
works, in Sutherland Road, were established by Benjamin Shirley of
Bangor, Wales, on the day of the marriage of H.R.H. the Prince of
Wales - 10th march 1863 - and were, in honour of that event, named
the Prince of Wales's Works.
were carried on for a time by Benjamin Shirley and Walter Freeman
under the style of Shirley & Freeman (late of the Sheridan
Works). On the death of the former, in 1864, Titus Hammersley became
a partner with Mr. Freeman.
In 1866, Edward Asbury joined the
firm, which carried on as Hammersley, Freeman & Co.
1870, Mr. Freeman retired from the concern, and the style at that
time was Hammersley & Asbury. After the death of Hammersley, in
1875, the works were continued by Mr. Asbury alone under the style
of Edward Asbury Co.
goods produced were china, tea coffee, dessert, and trinket services
- a special feature being articles bearing local views in colour,
for sale at watering-place - principally for the home markets; but
goods were also shipped to Australia and the United States.
mark used was the prince of Wales' feathers, with the letters H
& A in a garter, or A & Co.
Edward Asbury &
Co. continued to 1925."
Jewitt's Ceramic Art
of Great Britain 1800-1900