Stoke-on-Trent - Potworks of the week



click for
previous
photos

Advert of the Week
Photo of the Week

Queen's Pottery, Sutherland Road, Longton 

  • George Warrilow was in partnership with James Herbert Cope at the Wellington Works, Stafford Street, Longton from 1880 until they parted ways in 1887. 

  • Cope remained at the Wellington Works and Warrillow moved to the Park Place Works in Longton for the two years 1887 & 1888 - in 1889 moved to the Queen's Pottery works in nearby Sutherland Road, Longton. 

  • George Warrilow and his sons Harry, George and Frederick operated at the Queen's Pottery.

  • In 1928 'LTD' was added to the company name.

  • The Warrilow business ceased operation in 1940. 

  •  Rosina China Co. Ltd. operated the Queen's Pottery from 1941. In 2002 the company was in voluntary liquidation and in February 2005 was wound up. 

  • Sometime afterwards Hartley Greens & Co. Leeds Pottery moved to the Queen's Pottery works in Longton. In July 2013 they moved to the Middleport Pottery in Burslem. 

 

 

1881 Census details for 14 Peel Street, Dresden, Longton

Name

Marr | Age | Sex

 

Birthplace

Occupation

George WARRILLOW 

M 47 M

Head

Hulme

China Manufacturer

Elizabeth WARRILLOW

M 47 F

Wife

Gt Fenton

 

Harry WARRILLOW 

U 21 M 

Son

Burslem

Joiner

George WARRILLOW 

U 18 M 

Son

Dresden

Potter

Fred WARRILLOW 

U 16 M

Son

Dresden

China Decorator

Emily A. WARRILLOW

 13 F 

Daur

Dresden

Scholar

Sarah J. GUY

U 18 F

Serv

Oakengates, Shropshire

General Servant

 

In 1881 George Warrilow was in partnership with James Herbert Cope, operating as 'Warrilow & Cope' his sons Harry, 
George and Frederick had jobs as a Joiner, Potter and China Decorator.

By 1887 George had set up business at the Queen's Pottery with his sons.  

 


 

- click on the picture for more information
on George Warrilow & Sons -
 



1922 map of Sutherland Road area of Longton

Blue Circle = Queen's Pottery - operated by George Warrilow & Sons Ltd
Red Circle = this location was, in 1926, occupied by Smith & Barnett Ltd
Purple Circle = this is the location where c.1940 Floral China Co. Ltd. would be built
 




the same area of Sutherland Road in 2013
Google maps

Queen's Pottery originally occupied by George Warrilow
Smith & Barnett (demolished sometime previously)
Adderley Works of Floral China Co. Ltd. 
 

 

the remains of the original Queen's Pottery
the remains of the original Queen's Pottery 

Google Maps 2013

 




1887  notice of the dissolution of the business of
Warrilow & Cope at the Wellington Works

 in the same year Warrilow started in business at
the Queen's Pottery in Sutherland Road
 

 


 

1895  notice that Frederick Warrilow was to leave
the business which would be continued by his
brothers Harry and George.

 


1901 notice that George Warrilow was to leave 
the business which would be continued by his brother
Harry Warrilow

however the name 'Geroge Warrilow & Sons' would 
continue to be used
 

 


 

 



Longton Potteries in 1947
from: Pottery Gazette & Glass Trade Review Reference Book Directory, 1947

20 - Smith & Barnett, Ltd.

21 - Floral China Co., Ltd.

22 - Rosina China Co., Ltd. 

Rosina China Co. Ltd. operated the Queen's Pottery from 1941
prior to that it was George Warrilow & Sons Ltd.

 


 

Rosina China Co. Ltd. Queen's Pottery, Longton, Stoke-on-Trent
Rosina China Co. Ltd. Queen's Pottery, Longton, Stoke-on-Trent 
advert from the April 1953 Pottery Gazette & Glass Trade Review 

Rosina China Co. Ltd operated at the Queen's Pottery from 1941 to 2002

 


 

Hartley Greens & Co. Leeds Pottery at the Queen's Pottery works - June 2013
Hartley Greens & Co. Leeds Pottery at the Queen's Pottery works - June 2013