back to "The Grand Tour" index

Neville Malkin's "Grand Tour" of the Potteries

buildings South of the Potteries


next: the Mausoleum, Trentham
previous: Sutherland Monument
contents: index of buildings south of the Potteries

 

No 11 - The riding school, Trentham Hall

 

 

The Riding School, Trentham Hall
The Riding School, Trentham Hall
pen drawing by Neville Malkin - April 1975

 


"This interesting complex, together with its clock tower, is generally known as the Riding School, designed in 1840 and built between 1841-50. It stands on the perimeter of a large cobbled stableyard, and represents the last major addition to, and almost sole survivor of the once-exciting and impressive Trentham Hall, whose bulk was demolished in 1910-12.

The origins of the Trentham Estate and buildings can be traced back to the 7th century when it was part of the kingdom of Mercia. Werburgh, daughter of Wulfhere, King of Mercia, 657-674, founded a nunnery at Trentham about 670 and became its first Abbess. The nunnery thrived and eventually became a priory, retaining this status until the 16th century when it was dissolved by Henry VIII.

In 1539, Henry, who had taken possession of  the priory and adjoining land, made a gift of them by deed of grant to Charles Brandon, Duke of Suffolk, who quickly profited from his good fortune by selling only two days later to Sir Thomas Pope. Within a year, Pope sold out to James Leveson, from whom the Sutherland family can trace their possession of the Trentham Estate.

A new and much larger house was erected on this site in the early 18th century, designed by Francis Smith and modelled on the Queen's Palace in St. James's. This was eventually enlarged from nine to 15 bays by Capability Brown and Holland in 1768-78, about the same time that the impressive lake and gardens were landscaped. In 1833, the second Duke of Sutherland commissioned Sir Charles Barry, the architect of the Houses of Parliament, to remodel and make extensive alterations to the existing house. By 1841, the Duke had managed to spend 123,000 on improvements to Trentham Hall and estates."


Neville Malkin
30th April 1975

 

 


The Riding School, Trentham Hall
photo: 2008

"Yet further east and north is the stable yard with riding school, a sculpture gallery on the upper floor, and a clock tower. This group was designed only in 1840 and built from 1841 to c.1850.
It represents a different style, less faithfully Italianate, freer indeed, but also more severe with its long band of windows separated by low Doric pillars. Only the tower is the typical villa piece."

Pevsner - Buildings of England


 


designed in 1840 and built between 1841-50

 


next: the Mausoleum, Trentham
previous: Sutherland Monument
contents: index of buildings south of the Potteries

 

back to "The Grand Tour" index

  |