Longport: The 'Kingdom' of Davenport (1760's - mid 19th C))
Location 3 on the index map
The photograph above, (from the Warrillow Collection in Keele University Library), shows the frontage of the Bottom Bridge (or New Bridge) Pottery built in the 1770's.
The large Georgian building on the left (which is now the Duke of Bridgewater Inn) was originally the master potters house. In 1841 the factory and the house were occupied by George Phillips who by then had been a pottery manufacturer for 19 years. He employed between 400 and 500 people at his factory and was returned in the 1841 census as follows:
George Phillips 35 Earthenware Manufacturer Emily Phillips 30 Louisa Phillips 7 Emily Phillips 4 Mary Jane Phillips 1 Anne Phillips 37 Independent Jane Onge 30 Independent Mary Bentley 35 Female Servant Hannah Lovatt 25 Female Servant Fanny Hockenhall 20 Female Servant
Duke of Bridgewater Inn (Bottom Bridge Pottery)
In the 1840s this factory was taken over by William Davenport
and incorporated into his firm at Longport.
factory is shown on the 1851 Ordnance Survey map.
Then the Duke of Bndgewater Inn was located in
what is now the garden of the public house
between the road and the canal.
In 1841 it was occupied by:
|Mary Burnett||65 Publican|
|Hannah Mawdesley||50 Independent|
|Eliza Clarke||25 Female Servant|
|Ann Burnett||55 Schoolmistress.|
The garden of the Duke of Bridgewater Inn
- which was the location of the original inn.
When William Davenport took over the factory the master potter’s
house became redundant and in the late 1850s
the pub was moved into the neighbouring house
which it still occupies today.
The factory frontage was demolished in about 1960
and the remaining buildings on the site were
recently cleared away prior to redevelopment.
next is Station Road (old Road from Burslem to Newcastle)
questions/comments/contributions? email: Steve Birks