Location and period of operation:
Sutherland (& Sons)
Earthenware manufacturer - Parian, Ivory & Majolica, at Park Hall Street, Longton, Stoke-on-Trent
Formerly under the style D. Sutherland (c.1862-1864) and then D. Sutherland & Sons (or just Sutherland & Sons)
Daniel Sutherland lived at 18 Caroline Street, Longton. In 1864 as well as being a pottery manufacturer he was also listed as 'Proprietor of the Temperance hotel'
The partnership originally seemed to be between Daniel (the father) and Thomas (one of the sons) and then eventually was between the brothers Hugh & Thomas Sutherland.
Thomas left and the business was continued by Hugh.
Subsequently: Hugh Sutherland
Majolica sauce boat in the form of a fish with the tail curving up to form the handle
impressed makers mark 'S S'
London Gazette - May 11th 1877
Notice of the dissolution of the partnership between
Hugh and Thomas Sutherland - trading as D. Sutherland & Sons
Hugh Sutherland to continue on his own
Initials used on ware for identification:
S & S
questions/comments/contributions? email: Steve Birks