Colliery electrical and mechanical fitting shop.
Circa 1940 with subsequent alteration to mining car repair shop.
Steel framing, with single-skin infill panels,
the framework expressed externally as a rectangular grid
pattern. Metal truss roof system with corrugated sheet roof
covering incorporating continuous glazed areas and 5 ridge
Linear plan comprised of 3 linked parallel ranges
with two ranges longer and taller than the rear range. North
elevation of 17 bays with windows at two levels in the lower
part of the side wall, the upper part being without openings.
Gable ends without doorways, that to the rear of the shorter
range, serve rail access to the building.
The Chatterley Whitfield Colliery was in the
forefront of mine electrification in the early decades of the
C20, and was the first British colliery to produce in excess of
a million tons of coal per annum.
The electrical and mechanical fitting shop is of
special interest for its key role in the mechanised transport
system serving the colliery.