| Index of all listed buildings |

Listed Buildings in Stoke-on-Trent and area

Chatterley Whitfield Colliery - area shaft building

off Biddulph Road
Heritage No.
10065 A
Date Listed
21 July 2003
Building: Chatterley Whitfield Colliery area shaft building
Description:  Former colliery equipment store and electricity sub-station. c.1948  Steel framed, with red brick infill panels


Former colliery equipment store and electricity sub-station. c.1948 with minor late C20 alterations. Steel framed, with red brick infill panels, concrete floors and asbestos sheet roof covering.

PLAN: Linear, double pile plan with twin pitched roofs, aligned east-west.

EXTERIOR: 2 storey main ranges to north and south, 20 window bays, with regularly spaced, tall multi-pane metal windows to ground floor and shallow windows of matching type to upper floor, the window heads at eaves level. Metal frame expressed externally, upper floor windows with bands to heads and cills.

East end with twin wagon doors located centrally in each gable. Electricity sub-station extends from south-east corner. Wagon doors to lean-to in west end wall, now blocked, and to north range, both with rail access to interior. South wall with central wagon door and external metal stair to first floor serving lift tower.

INTERIOR: Tall ground floor area, essentially an open work/storage made up of 2 “aisles” formally served by travelling cranes and narrow rail tracks allowing for mechanised handling of equipment throughout the ground floor area. Inserted office to lower part of ground floor at east end, west end of south range with original steel-framed internal wall. The north range retains fittings for travelling crane, and has open access into north-west corner lean-to extension. South range with lift shafts to upper floor together with a steel staircase.

HISTORY: The Chatterley Whitfield Colliery site is acknowledged to be the most comprehensive survival of a deep mine site in England, with a range of surviving structures and buildings unequalled in any other former or surviving coalfield site in Britain. Coal extraction here was first recorded in 1750, and the site remained in production until 1 March 1977. In 1978, the site became the Chatterley Whitfield Mining Museum, operated by the National Coal Board. In 1993, the museum went into liquidation, and the site was handed back to the freehold owner, Stoke-on-Trent City Council in 1994.

 The former Area Shaft building is a prominent and little altered example of a type of service building which was operated in support of the mainstream coal extraction and transportation functions on colliery sites throughout England. Its physical and functional relationship with other buildings related to the maintenance and equipment supply functions of a complex, multi-functional industrial site was a direct one, and in the context of the most complete survival of a deep mine site in England, it can be regarded as an essential component of the colliery ensemble.


other listed buildings at Chatterley Whitfield Colliery

previous: Chatterley Whitfield Pithead Admin & Office Complex

| Index of all listed buildings |
| Tunstall | Burslem | Hanley | Stoke | Fenton | Longton | Other areas |