| Index of all listed buildings |

Listed Buildings in Stoke-on-Trent and area

Chatterley Whitfield Colliery - administration & Offices

off Biddulph Road
Heritage No.
10064 A
Date Listed
21 July 2003
Building: Chatterley Whitfield Colliery administration & Office Complex
Description:  Former colliery offices. 1934, with minor late C20 alterations. Red brick with flat concrete roof.


Former colliery offices. 1934, with minor late C20 alterations. Red brick with flat concrete roof.

PLAN: L-shaped plan, with principle elevation to west, and curved corner linking main range to wing at south end.

EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, 8 bay west front with near central doorway set in taller flat roofed entrance tower. Doorway with painted moulded surround, double doors and plaque above door head which reads “CHATTERLEY WHITFIELD COLLIERIES LTD REGISTERED OFFICE” Tall transomed window above. To left, 4 bay part with multi-pane metal window frames set on concrete cills, the openings set below painted lintel bands. This detailing is repeated to the right of the doorway, where the end 3 bays are advanced, with curved ends, the curve to the right extencing onto the 5 bay south elevation, which, like the west front, has alternate rectangular and square window openings. Late C20 lean-to added to west end. 3-bay north elevation with central doorway and tall stair window above.

INTERIOR: Primary and secondary stairs retain original detailing. Interior plan retains cellular office form. Contemporary hearths to some first floor rooms.

HISTORY: The Chatterley Whitfield Colliery site is acknowledged to be the most comprehensive survival of a deep mine site in England, with a range of surviving structures and buildings unequalled in any other former or surviving coalfield site in Britain. Coal extraction here was first recorded in 1750, and the site remained in production until 1 March 1977. The colliery was in the forefront of mine electrification in the early C20, and was the first colliery to produce in excess of a million tons of coal per annum. In 1978, the site became the Chatterley Whitfield Mining Museum, operated by the National Coal Board. In 1993, the museum went into liquidation, and the site was handed back to the freehold owner, Stoke-on-Trent City Council in 1994.

Forms a group with the Pithead Baths and Canteen building.

The former colliery offices building is a prominent and little altered example of a type of service building which was operated in support of the mainstream coal extraction and transportation functions on colliery sites throughout England. Its physical and functional relationship with other buildings related to the management and care of the colliery workforce, and the general administration of a complex, multi-functional industrial site was a direct one, and, in the context of the most complete survival of a deep mine site in England, it can be regarded as an essential component of the colliery ensemble

other listed buildings at Chatterley Whitfield Colliery

next: Chatterley Whitfield Area Shaft Building
previous: Chatterley Whitfield Lamphouse

| Index of all listed buildings |
| Tunstall | Burslem | Hanley | Stoke | Fenton | Longton | Other areas |