| Index of all listed buildings |

 

St. Mark's Church, Shelton
St. Mark's Church, Shelton
pen drawing by Neville Malkin - Oct 1974

-click picture for more-

 


Listed Buildings in Stoke-on-Trent and area

Church of St. Mark, Shelton


Area
Shelton
Street
Broad Street
Heritage No.
114 A
Grade
II
Date Listed
15 March 1993
Building: Church of St Mark
Location: STOKE ON TRENT SJ84NE BROAD STREET, Shelton
Description:  CHURCH, 1831-4, ASHLAR FACED, WEST TOWER, NAVE & 2 AISLES

Church of St. Mark, Shelton
Church of St. Mark, Shelton


Church. 1831-1834 by John Oates of Halifax, built as a Commissioners Church.

 Ashlar faced. West Tower, nave with 2 aisles, chancel added in 1866 by R.Scrivener. 3-stage tower with western doorway with chamfered arch with hood moulds and foliated crocketed decoration. Simple lancets, blind arcading and clock in second stage, paired bell chamber lights with central pilaster above. Angle buttresses form crocketed pinnacles, embattled parapet.

Lancets with shafted responds to aisles, divided into 7 bays by buttresses, the angle buttresses forming polygonal turrets with pinnacles.

North doorway in porch to west of aisles. Chancel has foiled lancets and 2-light decorated windows with fretted parapet over.

 

(The Victoria History of the Counties of England:
R.B.Pugh: Staffordshire: Oxford: 1963-;
The Buildings of England: N.Pevsner: Staffordshire).

 


The 120 foot west tower is a landmark for miles around.
The 120 foot west tower is a landmark for miles around.


photos - Steve Birks  2000


St. Mark's church stands on a prominent site in Shelton and its 120 foot (36.5 metre) tower is a landmark for miles around.

The largest church in the city measuring 151 feet by 75 feet (46 x 23 m). Designed by J. Oates, erected in 1833 of freestone ashlars (i.e. faced with thin slabs of masonry) in the Early English style at a cost of 10,000.

Most of the money came from the Church Commissioners, whose national brief was to finance new centres of Church of England worship in the rapidly expanding areas of population, and Shelton was one of these. Designed to hold a congregation of 2,100.

In 1868 the original chancel was replaced with the polygonal one seen in the top photograph above. In the 1970's the church was cleaned to remove the grime from over a 100 years of Potteries air.


on St. Marks


next: Canal milepost, Sideway
previous: The Vine Public House, Pittshill
 

| Index of all listed buildings |
| Tunstall | Burslem | Hanley | Stoke | Fenton | Longton | Other areas |