Master Potters in Georgian Burslem (1714-1837)
Red Lion public house and Hamil Road
Location 2 on
the index map
The Big House of John & Thomas Wedgwood adjacent
to the Red Lion public house which maintains the
name of the original Red Lion Inn.
In the photo
(taken April 2000) left to right:
Old Town Hall, Big House, Red Lion Pub
The road in front is Moorland Road.
Hamil Road in April 2000
Most of the land either side of Hamil Lane formed part of the
estate. John & Thomas Wedgwood were the biggest
and wealthiest property owners as well as pottery
manufacturers in Burslem.
They, their house, factory and estate dominated the town.
next is the Over House
questions/comments/contributions? email: Steve Birks