Sutherland Pottery, Fenton
NOTE: There three men named Thomas Forester who operated pottery works in the Fenton/Longton area of Stoke-on-Trent - all at the same time.
Thomas Forester Son & Co - at the Sutherland Pottery, Fenton
Thomas Forester & Co - at the Melbourne Works, Longton
Thomas Forester & Sons (Ltd) - at the Phoenix Works, Longton
|1884||1887/8||Thomas Forester Son & Co|
|1887||1892||Forester & Hulme|
|1893||1900||Hulme & Christie|
|1900||1903||Christie & Beardmore|
|1903||1913||Frank Beardmore & Co|
"Messrs. Thomas Forester, Son & Co started potting at the Sutherland Works in about 1884. The produced china and earthenware dinner, tea, desert and toilet sets..... In 1885 they were succeeded by Messrs. Forester & Hulme and by Hulme & Christie from 1893 to 1902."
From Jewitt's "Ceramic Art of Great Britain, 1800-1900"
Map showing the former location of the Sutherland Pottery
the location is now a car park and Fenton open air market.
1900 map showing the Sutherland Pottery in Fenton, Stoke-on-Trent
The works were
fronted on High Street East (now City Road) and
flanked by Church Street (now Christchurch Street) and
Station Road (now Glebedale Road)
the Sutherland Pottery in 1937 - in front is High Street East
at the top of the photo (left to right) is Fenton Library, police station and Town Hall
photo courtesy: Britain from Above
the Sutherland Pottery - 1963/4 - in front is City Road (was High Street East)
photo: Bert Bentley Archive
Questions, comments, contributions? email: Steve Birks