Palissy Works, Chancery Lane, Longton, Stoke-on-Trent
These works in Chancery Lane were erected in 1862 by Richard H. Grove For the purpose of decorating, not manufacturing, china ware. In 1867, he retired and was succeeded by his son, Frederick Wedgwood Grove, and his partner, John Stark. They commenced manufacturing their own ware having increased the premises For the purpose and erected the necessary kilns and machinery. They manufactured earthenware only. In this, all the usual dinner, dessert, toilet and other services and domestic articles were produced, of all degrees of decoration - from plain and printed to enamelled and gilt varieties. Spirit and wine show-barrels or casks were also specialities. Messrs. Grove & Stark continued to 1885. F. W. Grove continued to 1889, the firm subsequently becoming Grove & Oliver (1889-94), Grove & Prowse (1895-8), then Grove & Co. to about 1904."
'Jewitt's Ceramic Art of Great Britain 1800-1900' - first published 1878, revised 1883.
Richard H Grove & his son Frederick Wedgwood Grove had a number of
short lived partnerships at the Palissy Works....
|1862 (1853?)||1869||Richard H. Grove||
Jewitt states that "These works in Chancery Lane were erected
in 1862 by Richard H. Grove..." However the 1861
census records that Richard H Grove was "a China manufacturer employing
15 men, 16 women, 4 boys and 3 girls"
|1870||1871||Grove and Robinson||recorded in 1870 Harrod directory|
|1872||1884||Grove and Stark||Grove, Start & Co: Frederick Wedgwood Grove, and his partner, John Stark There was also a junior partner - Edward Pearson who retired from the business in March 1875.|
|1885||1889||F. W. Grove|
|1889||1894||Grove & Oliver|
|1895||1898||Grove & Prowse|
|1898||1904||Grove & Co.|
|1905||1929||A.E. Jones / A.E. Jones & Co|
|1929||1946||Albert E. Jones (Longton) Ltd|
|1946||1989||Palissy Pottery Ltd|
NOTE: dates are drawn from a number of sources and may overlap or vary by a few years.
originally took their name from a
was a French Huguenot potter and
writer, particularly associated with decorated
rustic ware, a type of earthenware covered with coloured lead glazes.
from c.1948 Palissy Pottery Ltd introduced a backstamp
which incorporated a likeness of Bernard Palissy.
Maps of the Commerce Street / Chancery Lane area of Longton town showing the Palissy Works
1950 view of the Stafford Street area of Longton
the Palissy Works alongside Commerce Street / Chancery Lane are in the top left corner
pictures courtesy: Britain From Above
Red - Palissy Pottery Works
light blue - Melba pottery Works
dark blue - Berry Bank ceramic transfer works
yellow - Empire Theatre
1953 map showing the same area
the many bottle kilns of the Palissy Pottery Works
Questions, comments, contributions? Steve Birks