Gibson & Sons (Ltd)






 

Location and period of operation:

Gibson & Sons (Ltd)

Burslem

1885 

c. 1975

 (See sources)

Earthenware manufacturer - producers of dinner and tea wares, they were particularly known for teapot manufacture. c.1907-1910 they manufactured the 'Largest Teapot in the world'. This held 1024 cups of tea.

Previously: Gibson & Sudlow

Gibson & Sons became a limited company in 1905 and then traded as Gibson & Sons Ltd.

Pottery Works occupied by Gibson & Sons:
Gibson & Sons occupied a number of works (some of them concurrently):- 

In 1885 they occupied the Harvey Pottery, Lingard Street, Burslem, which they occupied 1885 - 1957.
At the same time (1885) they occupied the Albany Pottery, Moorland Road, Burslem until 1965.
For a short period (c.1925 - 1930) they also used the Chelsea Works, Moorland Road, Burslem and then Susie Copper took these works.
In 1965 the Albany Pottery were too large for them and the business was moved to Howard Pottery, Norfolk Street, Shelton (with Royal Winton).

Ownership of Sudlow & Sons:
c.1947        sold to Mineral Separation
1949           sold to the Howard Pottery Group



Gibson & Sons
Albany Works, Moorland Road, Burslem

Egyption Black, Jet and Rockingham Ware
suitable for the Home, Colonial and Indian Markets

Pottery Gazette,  January 1885

 


Trade names included:

Silvoe Art Ware; Windsor Art Ware; Royal Harvey

 

Initials used on ware for identification:

G & S LTD
B

 

G & S LTD


click on the following for more information:-

   


Questions/comments/contributions? email: Steve Birks