in Stoke-on-Trent and area
The Mount - Josiah
19 April 1972
STOKE ON TRENT SJ8645SE
GREATBACH AVENUE, Hartshill
1803, large imposing house built by Josiah Spode
The Mount -
home of Josiah Spode
Centre is the Vestibule
photo: 2000 - Steve
photo: July 2006 © Mr Clive Shenton
today, the house is an imposing structure which was built to impress
upon all visitors the commercial success, wealth and status of its
owner. It is built mainly of brick with stone used to emphasise its
House, now in use as school.
1803. Ashlar and brick with Welsh slate roof.
2-storeys, 3 bays, the central section of stone, a convex
projecting bay with full-height columns carrying overhanging
entablature, and with domed roof over. Central double doors and
12-pane sashes on each floor, with stone plinth, sill bands and
cornice. Original cantilevered staircase inside.
The house was built for the potter, Josiah Spode.
Additions to sides and rear.
Later used as a school for the
blind and deaf, by 2000 - just for the deaf.
In 2003 opened as a primary school
house was described by John Ward c.1840 as follows:
'Of the mansions within the Township of Penkhull, (we may say,
indeed, within the compass of the Borough,) "THE MOUNT," erected by
the late Josiah Spode, Esq., bears acknowledged pre-eminence. It
stands near the village, and is surrounded by plantations and a
highly-ornamental domain. The house is an oblong building of stone,
with a semi-circular entrance on the west front; an elegant and
lofty dome, which lights the staircase, gives an exterior air of
grandeur to the structure."
Primary School was formerly opened in June 2003 by Mr. P. Wood,
Managing Director of Spode. The site was originally occupied by The
Mount School for The Deaf in January 2003. The Willows is an
amalgamation of the Close Junior, Penkhull Infant and Penkhull
Primary School is a unique building having been built on the former
Mount Estate, home of the great English 18th Century potter Josiah
Spode. The school is named after Spode's world famous "Willow
Pattern" pottery which was originally designed by William
Greatbatch, whose name is now commemorated as Greatbach Avenue where
the Willows can be found."
MS Virtual Earth 2008
previous: The Golden Cup Inn, Old Town Road, Hanley