in Stoke-on-Trent and area
School of Art, Queen
15 March 1993
School of Art
STOKE ON TRENT
circa 1905, by A. R. Wood, brick and terracotta with tiled
roof, 2 story
School of Art,
Queen Street, Burslem
School of Art. Circa 1905. Brick and terracotta
with tiled roof.
2 storeys, 3 bays. Outer bays have pedimented
shallow gables and flanking blocks terminating in castellated
turrets. Triple windows with segmentally arched terracotta
surrounds to ground floor, massive segmentally arched studio
buildings above, with terracotta keyblocks and coat of arms at
Shallow pilasters in flanking towers. Central
doors in bowed portico with Ionic columns carrying entablature
with embossed lettering and balustrade over. Large tripartite
window above, divided by slight Ionic piers.
Balustraded parapet runs between the turrets
which flank the outer gables.
more on architecture
of the School of Art
is named after the pottery ware Wedgwood made for Queen
Charlotte in 1765.
School of Art is the Wedgwood Institute
which stands on the site of the Brick House pottery works.
Burslem School of Art
Premises, St. John Square, Burslem
previous: Wedgwood Institute, Queen Street, Burslem