Railways of Stoke-on-Trent - Potteries Loop Line
 

   

Navigate by the section headings below,
or use the "next" "previous" buttons, or if you get lost use the "index page"

Index page for the Loop Line

    Introduction | Etruria to Hanley | Cobridge to Burslem | Tunstall
Pits Hill to Goldenhill | Kidsgrove
 

Potteries Loop Line - Goldenhill & Pitts Hill


next: maps of Goldenhill area
previous: Locomotives of Birchenwood


Goldenhill - Pitts Hill

On the loop line between Tunstall and Kidsgrove were the two stations of Goldenhill & Newchapel and Pitts Hill


 

1851 description of Goldenhill and Newchapel
(before the loop line reached this far north)  ........

"GOLDEN HILL, about a mile N. of Tunstall, is a village at the-northern extremity of the Potteries, in the township or liberty of OLDCOTT, which contains 714 acres and 1295 inhabitants.
Here are two potteries and a large colliery, the latter belonging to Rt. Williamson, Esq. Golden Hill Church is a neat structure, in the Norman style, built in 1842, at the cost of 1800, raised by subscription and grants. It has 580 sittings, one-third of which are free. The living is a perpetual curacy, valued at 80, in the patronage of the Bishop of Lichfield, and incumbency of the Rev. Frederick. Wade, M.A., for whom a Parsonage House was built in 1850-1, at the cost of 800, of which 200 was given by the Diocesan Society. The site was given by Miss Sparrow, of Bishton. A National School, for about 200 children, has been erected near the church. This school, jointly with that at Tunstall, has been endowed with 500 by Smith Child, Esq.. The Methodists have a small chapel here."
 

"Newchapel, a straggling village, from 2 to 3 miles N. of Tunstall, gives name to a chapelry district, comprising THURSFIELD township, (559 acres and 495 souls,) Chell, Wedgwood, and parts of Stadmoreslow, and Brerehurst townships.
The Church (St. James,) formerly called Thursfield Chapel, is a neat brick fabric, which was rebuilt by subscription in 1766. The living is a perpetual curacy, valued at 95, in the patronage of Ralph Sneyd, Esq., and others, and incumbency of the Rev. Thurstan Forshaw, who has a neat Parsonage House, built in 1850 at the cost of 700, raised by subscription and grants.
The National School, built in 1847, has more than 100 scholars. The church is endowed with land at Norton-in-the-Moors, worth about 70 a year.

In the church-yard is a tomb inscribed to the memory of that celebrated engineer, James Brindley, who died at Turnhurst, in 1772, aged 56 ; but was a native of Tunsted, Derbyshire. Under his engineering skill were formed the Duke of Bridgewater's and the Trent and Mersey Canals. In 1708, Dr. Robert Hulme bequeathed to this chapelry an estate of 36acres at Oddrode, in Cheshire, for the support of a Free School; except 5 a year for apprenticing poor children, and 30s. for the minister. This estate is now let for about 90 per annum, and the School is ably conducted by Mr. W. Litchfield."

1851 Gazetteer of Staffordshire - William White


 

 

1898 Gazetteer of Great Britain  - Cassell

 


 



next: maps of Goldenhill area
previous: Locomotives of Birchenwood